Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out there around 6:30...couldnt crawl out after hitting Chatfield at 5:30 on Saturday...wind blowing like the movie Twister (where the cow blows across the dam they are driving on and then they announce same cow!)...but it was blowing right into the dam...most favorable conditions...fish were stacked fairly close...managed one 26 inch wiper which I hooked deep on a leech...so UGH I had to keep him...I got a 30 incher and another 25 incher on Thursday...I also got a 20 inch walleye (which was put back as penance for killing a wiper) and lost about a 3 to 4 pound smallmouth at shore...not too many chances for being there for 5 hours...I had a lot more chances on Wednesday and Thursday but couldnt get my head out of my arse...blaming it on jet lag...or just being happy...that I was fishing...didnt make it back out on Friday because I had taken my sunblock out of my fishing stuff for Hawaii and didnt put it back...fried myself good...Rudolph of Santa fame has nothing on me...here is the picture of the Wiper...kind of smushed up from being in a garbage bag on ice...didnt have my camera with me due to being full of non transferred Hawaii pictures...but here is the backyard photo anyway...he will meet the grill tommorrow...

...the wipers are starting to slow down...I think their psuedo spawn phase is coming to an end at Aurora for the year  :mad:...and the hunt begins...oh yeah and leeches, minnows and Rapalas...my usual bill of fare for everything...

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and another thing..the Rangers out there confirmed they arent stocking wipers anymore...I heard one report is because they ate all the crappies they stocked...jeez thats the neat thing about wipers...they eat things...I went down to watch a guy fight a fish this morning cuz his pole was bent over...and really fighting and then it stopped...he was fishing for trout...he reeled in a halfdead stocker...we think a wiper tried to take it away from him momentarily...it was kewl!!!...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I had asked the rangers the same question about the wipers & what I was told was that they would only stock them about once every four years & this wasnt one of the years that they would. But who knows they may have changed their minds. I hope not, but if the lake can turn up a good crappie population that wouldnt be bad either. :)

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both...two rods...I let the fish tell me unless I am chucking Rapalas...wear polarized glasses...keep a low profile...sit...they are spookier than spring creek trout if the wind isnt blowing...kind of like the Chatfield discussion a few weeks back and nightfishing...stealth cannot be underestimated...especially when it is bright and calm...even cloudy and calm...you can test it out...they go from lazily cruising to speeding up...drab colors help too...anything to get the edge on your side...a good day out there you might get half a dozen chances...if you dont spook them...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
You definately have it figured out!

I can't see Aurora as a crappie fishery? The spottails are all but done for! No shad or Alewifes! And there are already a million small perch in there. What would be the forage base for the crappie? I would much rather have the chance at a big Wiper!!!!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Nice job zman, those wipers haven't even given me the time of day this year. I was hoping to have caught at least a couple by now but no luck. I think that I am going to try CC this week instead. Its been a while since I have fished that lake.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
zman said:
Oh and another thing..the Rangers out there confirmed they arent stocking wipers anymore...I heard one report is because they ate all the crappies they stocked...jeez thats the neat thing about wipers...they eat things...I went down to watch a guy fight a fish this morning cuz his pole was bent over...and really fighting and then it stopped...he was fishing for trout...he reeled in a halfdead stocker...we think a wiper tried to take it away from him momentarily...it was kewl!!!...
If its big, good eating, popular, fights hard, and eats the occaisional fish, then it must die!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Nice fish zman. It's funny how Hawaii affects the brain. Makes you forget all kinds of things. ;D

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Photoshop?...if I was going to photoshop something...I would do much better than that!...I can imagine much better than that...

Haf2fish...old age...CRS syndrome...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts