Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished around 11:30am til 3:30pm. Used leeches (thanx, ZMAN). My lady felt a tug and then it went "zzzzzzzzz!!! zz! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!" She wasn't sure if she could handle it on her 6lb line and then I had to take over on the landing of the fish. Well, finally after like 5 minutes, we landed a 26" wiper. It's still her fish if you think of it. She fought it long enough for the credibility (I'm surprised).

We sat around and as the sun was cooking us, a pair of mallards kept swimming around us and my lady was telling me how cute they were. She was holding her rod (thank God) and explaining the colors on the drake to me and how it shined and stuff and then I heard her go "Oooh, oh sh*t!"

I looked over and she almost falls forward into the lake, rod pointing straight into the water and then SNAP!! That was all she wrote. Dammit.. Must have been another wiper. Bigger too. The schools of wipers swam through like twice and that was it for the day. Polarized glasses helped my lady figure out why the schools of carp were blueish white  ;)

I'm satisfied. We weighed it at that ranger office and the fish was just about a good 9lbs. My lady was one proud woman and still has been talking smack to me til this day. "I got two hits, one big-a$$ wiper and you got sh*t!"

Oh well, it was fun. Will be back when I think the conditions are right.

1eyeReD

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HookNLine said:
Good job man waiting for the pic. Bottom or bobber?
Bobber.. I tell ya. That day they were all around them bobbers when they came through, but didn't want to hit. I tried finesse tactics, hard baits (they are most scared of those), regular jigs and even a fresh lively crawdad. Casted past the school, reeled through em, nogo.. Casted like 15 yards in front of em and waited for them to come through and pick up the bait, nogo.. Even ripped rapalas past em with no go. However, I did get one to chase my jig, but as soon as I saw him, well... He saw me too.

The poor sap that my lady caught was probably just the hungrier one. However, when I gutted it, it had a stomach full of fresh undigested crayfish. I'll just be quiet and take that as a hint ;)

Will be back there for sure when the conditions are right and in cement colored clothes for camouglage. These fish are so hard to catch, some of the people who fish there for them has given up and aimed for other species according to the rangers.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah.. Its kinda good that the slowness is the norm. That way, only the concious (<-- did I even use that word correctly?) hardcores will go spend countless hours working for em. The ranger says that they'd like to see more caught because they rarely see em caught. Not that I'm with the ranger on this, but that tells me the fish are finicky like that which (sigh) tells me the wipers will stick around for some time.

Nice lake though. I'd like to take my 12 footer there, but them winds kinda scare me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
going out there tomorrow depending on the weather, hope the wind dont blow my little pontoon over since i swim like a rock. Never fished from the boat but got leeches, worms and minnows so hopefully something is hungry.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I understand, they've got monster smallies there too and some potentially big walleye.. Post a report when you're done, we'd like to know what happened.

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Great job OneEyeRed and to your lady moreso...

One tip since there can be huge lulls...make your drag as loose as can be...once they pick up a bait they arent dropping it (usually) and then the line can speed off...it gives you a chance to get in position...lean towards the fish and with your hand over the line against the rod to gently up lift and set the hook...then get your fingers off the line because when they feel the hook set that is when the 15 mph to 100mph in a split second happens...I then slowly tighten my drag while erroring to the loose side for the drag setting...as you found out they make many sudden runs and with 4 and even 6 pound line there isnt much room for error or a drag that sticks...the thing that many people dont realize with a big fish set the drag light and use your index  finger on the spool as a brake...much like cupping a fly reel with a big fish to slow the spool down...that is instantaneous...you can apply just the right amount of pressure with your index finger...so if you survive the initial surge when the hook is set you have a great chance of getting them in...I also retie and cut off about 10 feet after catching a big wiper on light line...so I take extra rods...people are really going to laugh at this one...and the fly fishers are going to cringe (I tie flies)...the best hook I have found for baitfishing leeches is a Tiemco 2457 scud hook in a size 10...wipers to 14 pounds have never bent one straight...wipers have a tough flabby spot inside their mouths the the little hooks just stick to...and those Tiemcos are tough and sharp...the fly fishermen and women will be turning over in their graves on that one...I wish I could get them in red!

Any way great job!!!...it sure is a fun ride on light gear isnt it 1EyeRed?...and they are horribly skittish out there in that clear shallow water as you found out casting lures at them...I know there is a 20 out there with my name on it!...hope you beat me to it!...

Good luck...hope the wiper stew was good!...hope you had a meat saw to clean them with their industrial strength rib cage!

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Nice job,WIPERSLAYER! You know,Aurora res is the closest lake to my house.I'll just have to start fishing it more.Keep it up.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, zman.

Those are some very helpful tips. I've thought about smaller hooks too, but just never got to it. I hope to meet you out there one of these days and you could show me the works. Til then, I'll just be dreaming of that 20 pounder too.

Again, thanks......

As for Slayer, thanks..... I'm sure you'll slay some gargantua fish out there too..... Either a huge broken striped hybrid or a huge holdover trout! I've seen pictures of some big overgrown stockers in the ranger's office too.

1eyeReD

·
Registered
117 Posts
AJ said:
Not a bad day, sounds like the norm.  Were you at the dam?
My fault 1 eye. When I said "the norm", I was talking about the hits/ # caught. 26" and 9+ lbs is a great catch and I don't hear about a lot of those being caught.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AJ said:
AJ said:
Not a bad day, sounds like the norm.  Were you at the dam?
My fault 1 eye.  When I said "the norm", I was talking about the hits/ # caught.  26" and 9+ lbs is a great catch and I don't hear about a lot of those being caught. 
True, true, true..... No prob AJ, I understood the 1st time. Maybe my response was kinda off, but that's what I meant. But you're right. Them wipeys don't get caught too often over there do they?

·
Registered
943 Posts
thats a nice fish the only wiper i ever caught was 17" at pueblo. i thought i caught a 10 lb trout. i cant imangine one that big. or maybe i can

1 - 15 of 15 Posts