Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out there for the third day in a row and the fishing is really starting to pick up.  The walleye are hitting constantly in all depths of water.  Most are just under the 18" limit but I was fortunate enough to find some larger eyes.  The pic is of the eyes that I caught first and then I also caught about 8 others that were under the limit.  The walleyes came out of Senac Cove.  Oh yeah I'll throw in a pic of a jem that I caught a few days ago.  Hope you all enjoy. ;D

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
ok ok, im giving in...all of these dang reports are drving me nuts. I might hit it tomorrow eve after work at around 6:30pm...its on 10 minutes from there. if you see a guy stumbling around on the dam changing lures every 5 minutes stop by to say hi...its me....pretending i know how to catch a fish on a spinning rod.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Hey Roth nice walleyes.

I am glad at least someone is catching 'eyes' at Aurora. I have been the last few days or so and did not even get a single bite. Are you trolling or jigging?

I think I may have seen you at Aurora a few times. I have the green/black trout unlimited pontoon boat w/ a trolling motor.

I like your rod holder set up. I might try to do something similar.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hey Rottal, looks like an X-Rap. I might be there tomorrow after work as well on the dam. I am the funny looking half asian guy, that is if I go which I really really want to do so say hi and we can catch fish together and brag about our tacomas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fishing from shore this evening was solid too. 8 walleyes with 2 fish over 18 for me. I was throwing 5" kalins grubs.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
-K- I'm now finally convinced.... BANDWAGON TIME!!!!

1eyeReD

·
Registered
636 Posts
There's plenty of room so if anyone else wants to help us ruin that great place by taking all the fish, feel free to join!!! ;) I'd only keep two keepers myself but watch out for 1Eye!!!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Tuber, were you the one fishing with someone else tonight right next to a couple of bouy's around 7:00 p.m. If so, I may have walked right past you. I was fishing on the dock.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
WOW, That smallie is nice. Im guessing the state record will be taken from Aurora any day now!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
gotmuskie? said:
I'd only keep two keepers myself but watch out for 1Eye!!!
Hmmm.... Haven't had a smallie on my plate for like over half a decade now..... >:D

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
tuber said:
Fishing from shore this evening was solid too. 8 walleyes with 2 fish over 18 for me.  I was throwing 5" kalins grubs. 
Could you give me info on how you worked the grub? I am at 100% skunk for Walleye, and am trying and have been for like 2 years, without any luck. (Ok, I really dont try that hard for them). Guys always catch them at loveland around me and all I get is small mouth, I was told "you need to slow it way down, these are not bass buddie."

·
Registered
24,589 Posts
Andy this one for me varies...I usually try a couple of different retrieves and let the fish tell me...I usually use the lake surface as a starting point...if it is windy and roily I use a more aggressive retrieve...if it is dead calm more of a slow pause retrieve to an almost let it sit and drag it occasionally...make sure you use heavy enough of a jig for the occasions so you can feel what is happening...as Neal said use one of the superlines with a 3 foot florocarbon leader...it is a lot more sensitive...no stretch like mono...

I went out Wednesday morning and was dejected...no wind...grrrrrrrrrrr...the weather channel and 9 news weather lied...I managed 6 trout and a smallie...the night before it 4 walleyes and 2 trout in an hours fishing...I did get a late start Wednesday morning however...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree that different days call for different jigging tactics. Most of my fish this weekhave come using slow hops...almost crawling the grub along the bottom. But when the wind kicked up and fish were more agressive I did better snap jigging. One tip would also be to downsize the presentation when things are slow and upsize towards dark or in heavy wind. Another important thing in my book is using a non-stretch braided line with fluro leader. Using something like power pro for your main line will really help you feel the bites.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Looks like if I want to catch my Smallmouth I might have to head down to aurora I have been before but was skunked last summer but now that I have a boat may be different. I might head out after work today about 2:00.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Assemble the Troops ...................................Trumpet ...............................
CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Yo anyone of u like to gamble if so ill meet u out there 20 bucks a walleye i dont care if i lose couple hundred as long is i learn something. Cash only no checks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts