Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go out and get my fix for the day and to my suprise the wind wasn't to bad. Got there early and fished the dam for a while. Me an my buddy caught some small trout and a few small walleye. By the tower I got into a trout that went 19" and so it became dinner. My buddy said his depth finder read a temp of 44 degrees. There was some sort of freak tornado wind early afternoon that put us on shore for a few minutes but then it went away and it was like glass for another hour or so. Really weird weather but the fish seemed to like it as they were biting for most of the day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Were you the two guys in the pontoon boats that took off from the tower to the back coves around noon? If so, how did you do on the south side? I was the guy casting off the dam with a second pole in my pack. Ended up with several sub 18 walleye. Went back yesterday and repeated the process with no keeper walleye. You guys looked pretty well equipped, 3 or 4 poles each. I had no idea you could cover that much water with your oars, no way I'd try that in my float tube.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would be me and my friend Thomas. Those pontoons can cover a lot of water real easy just a matter of time before you get where you a going. Not much was going on back in that cove except for a few trout. Oh yeah we did find that one large tree in 25' of water. It put up a heck of a fight but in the end it broke my line.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lookin to catch some trout out there sunday. have been fishing off the dam using night crawler injected to float. 1 foot leader. any other tips or advice would be great. Help me out guys.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your going to be fishing around the dam then also think about throwing an 1/8 jighead with a small worm or grub. We caught our fish by casting close to shore and working it slowly. Thomas caught one small walleye that had about three others follow it to the boat. Can't say that I've seen that very often.

·
Registered
769 Posts
roth2000 said:
If your going to be fishing around the dam then also think about throwing an 1/8 jighead with a small worm or grub.  We caught our fish by casting close to shore and working it slowly.  Thomas caught one small walleye that had about three others follow it to the boat.  Can't say that I've seen that very often.
Have seen the other fish follow a hooked fish only during the spawn. Had it happen a few times last year
while working the face of the dam at Chatfield with Shad Raps. As many as 4-5 other walleye would be
swimming with the hooked fish until they got close to the boat, then they would all split.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
When I was there Monday I had lots of Eye's following my Jerkbaits in.Only was able to get one to hit a hardbait, but they were swallowing a 4" Power minnow. All four that I caught were males. They really don't have alot of spawning options other than the dam at Aurora. It doesn't hurt that it is on the North side of the lake also!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
GMCO45 said:
roth2000 said:
If your going to be fishing around the dam then also think about throwing an 1/8 jighead with a small worm or grub. We caught our fish by casting close to shore and working it slowly. Thomas caught one small walleye that had about three others follow it to the boat. Can't say that I've seen that very often.
Have seen the other fish follow a hooked fish only during the spawn. Had it happen a few times last year
while working the face of the dam at Chatfield with Shad Raps. As many as 4-5 other walleye would be
swimming with the hooked fish until they got close to the boat, then they would all split.
I've not seen that with walleye, but have with bass and bluegill many a time. In fact when I visit my folks in SD, when we fish for bluegill we use a crappie rig and its not uncommon to hook one and when reeling in have another take the other hook.

Dan

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Wipers do the same thing at Aurora...netting an 11 pounder in heavy surf at Aurora last year...there were two others right next to the one I netted at the mercy of the waves...I thought about netting all 3 wondering what two untired out ones would do to my net once they discovered they were in it...I didnt do it...maybe this year if I get the chance again...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts