Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On saturday - we found a decent number of walleyes willing to hit jigged and rigged live bait in 30-40ft of water. The fish are in roving schools but were very agressive once found.

Early this morning we fished shallow cove areas with live bait and found a few willing wipers - unfortunately those wipers are now wearing a little extra jewelry in their mouths. We went with light fluro-carbon leaders that just couldn't stand up to the size of these fish.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Glad to hear that you caught some fish. I didn't find the walleye on my last trip but I suspected that they went deep. I'll try to pin them down next time out if the wiper don't distract me. Those wipers are sure a fun fight. Nothing like hearing the sound of your drag singing. To bad you weren't able to land any of them. It seems that those fish start at 5 lbs and just get bigger.

·
Registered
622 Posts
5lbs-baby's still!! I would sure like to find them! I just been into walleyes and trout as well in deeper water but still would rather get into wipers for sport....where are they these day's ???

·
Registered
674 Posts
The wipers are shallow at around 5 feet doing their spawning thing. Walk towards the tower on the dam and keep a lookout in the water. They aren't hard to spot.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
for reals ... sight fishing for wipers!!! i got to give this a try. ;D

·
Registered
674 Posts
So far I have been unsuccessful on trying to get them to bite. It becomese frustrating after a while when you can see them monsters and not get them to bite anything.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
ill see if i can do it big mac style. the way this old man taught me, when times get tough( lures dont bite, crawdads, and even cut shad dont bite). get a 4-5 inch sinner, and throw it out with no weight, just a circle hook in its tail... let it swim out and watch for the bite.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Or I was thinking or buying a bow and catching them that way. Probably have to use the camoflauge run and gun tactic so I don't get caught.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
ahhahha .... that would be funny. ill think ill stick with "FISHING" and not shooting a fish.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
i call it the wussy way... rod and reel!!! unless ur shoot a giant carp!! that would be fun.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
maybe ill see u out there one day ... i heard ur the legend out there for the eyes. i havent done too well in colorado for the walleyes, but in big mac ;D, just landed a 24inch and a 26 inch on saturday night. but those are still smaller than da_teacher's brother ... he told me he caught one 29inch., two 26inch, and and a "22incher" that night.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
hahaha .... ur so modest. but i guess .. u do have a boat. all my fish are from shore.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I fish from my rigged up pontoon boat. I have everything that a $40K boat has while the luxury of transporting it inside my SUV. Well maybe not everything but it sure gets the job done.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
still its a boat ... i want one so bad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts