Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back myself. Caught 11 Eye's on jerkbaits. Mostly a Pointer 78. They were all between 17 and 171/2 inchs except one which was legal and is about to take a relaxing hot oil bath as  I post ;D The wind was blowing again and I probably missed twice as many fish as I caught?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Neal, Do you carry a small yellow tackle box or something like that.  I saw a guy show up and start fishing at about 8:30 and he had a fish on right away.

Is a  pointer 78 suspending or what.  I won't ask what color,  there's only like a dozen.  I may try a suspending perch crank bait next time.  I put a piece of tape at 18inches on my pole and 30% of the walleye I catch are 17 3/4. 

The other day I met a young guy on the dam and he wanted one of my soft baits and jig heads so we started to fish together and then pulls in a 19" walleye.  He didn't let me have it.  How rude! ;D

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was me. I got one on my second cast. The first one was on a Purple/white X-Rap and then I lost one that looked like it was about 23" :mad: Then they started following the x_Rap but not striking so I switched to a 78 in Aurora Black. I saw a couple of big smallies swim thru also!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good job on the walleyes.Don't you hate it that the majority that you catch are right under the limit.!I take it you're fishing off the dam?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's frustrating! But it is probably a good thing there is the size limit though! The spawn brought them in there all grouped up and now they a very vulnerable to overharvest. I let two nice fish go last week, but today I wanted one for lunch! Nothing wrong with keeping a couple every once in a while!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Neal,
Took your advice on the minnow type soft plastics for the walleye, but the trout won't leave it alone!
Thanks for your informative reports.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those Fin S Fish and Power Minnows catch everthing! Great tools for someone who fishs alot from shore!

·
Registered
902 Posts
How do you guys rig those power minnows? I got a packet and like them but not sure of my technique yet-

lighter lead-head? other ideas?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use Owner ultraheads in either 3'16 or 1/4 oz. I cast them out and snap jig them back. Helps if you use Floro Fireline, because sometimes you see your line jump before you feel the fish.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I use 3 inch Walleye Assasins in pearl color on 1/16 Eagle Claw jig heads. I'm using the 4 lb Eagle Claw Lazer Ice line for my spring fishing. It's tough, low stretch, low memory.
I cast it out, let it fall, twitch twice then let pause and fall.
The small zoom super fluke's work well too.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Neal, When you are referring to Power Minnows, are you referring to the Berkely Gulp minnows? I have never seen Power Minnows other than the Gulps. Where do you buy them from?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Power minnows are extremely hard to find anymore :mad: Fin S Fish work pretty well also! Gulp is suppose to expand to a 4" bait soon?

Snap jigging is not a subtle technique, use heavier jigs 1/4 to 3/8 oz and keep them moving. When the water gets warmer you can move up to a 5" Power jerk shads, Fin S Fish or other Fluke stryle baits.

You are not trying for a subtle gliding decent like bass fisherman aim for. the heavier head helps you pop it off the bottom. I think it is the same natural mechanism that makes walleye's slam jigging spoons while everyone else is teasing nuetral or negative fish? Pike like it also!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts