Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out pretty early and tried in front of the swim beach but didn't even see any fish on the sonar. My buddy Troy was out on the flat so I went out to see how he was doing. On the way I saw some good marks in shallower water (20-23 ft.) and stopped to fish them and caught a 19 1/2" walleye. A few minutes later I caught an 18 1/2" walleye and then a big fat rainbow. All on a kastmaster off a little drop-off. Out on the flat I only hooked a couple of short fish and some more rainbows. It sure turned into a nice day when the wind died around 10:00. There were a lot of other boats out catching fish, too. Can't wait to get back out there.
When I got home my daughter wanted to go fishing so I took her and a friend out to Chatfield and we spooned up some walleye for a change. She even caught a keeper!!! That's my girl! Maybe things are looking up out there. Let's hope! See ya on the water. Looney.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I think the water temp had to drop to get the spoon bite going out at Chatfield? I was out ther two weeks ago and all the shad were stacked up in the shallows. Maybe slabbing will be the ticket now?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Great Job catching the Walleye. All the Walleyes I ever catch are always too small. Maybee it is my technique.

I am looking forward to the day when I can take my two boys fishing with me. They are two and 1, but someday I will take them. Hopefully, they build up their fishing tolerance equal or greater than mine.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael, fishing with kids has got to be one of the greater pleasures for sure! I've been taking my daughter since she was a baby, (more for myself to be fishing than for her of course). Guido Hibdon, of BASS fame, once said the key to getting his son, Dion, now a pro himself, hooked on fishing was to leave him standing in the driveway with krocodile tears streaming down his face because he couldn't go fishing with his Dad. Heartbreaking for both I'm sure. Harsh and definately "Old School" but it sure worked for him! My daughters "fire" is not burning as strong as it used to, probably because she got to go so often that to her it was not a big deal. My bad!!!
When it's time to take them make sure you have lots of other activities to keep them interested, and when it's time to go home, GO. Don't drag it out like I did too many times. Again, my bad! Now I don't push and let her decide when she wants to go and even sometimes we don't go then, just to stoke her fires. Hope those boys turn out to be your favorite fishing partners ever. I know my Dad was my favorite. What I'd do for one more trip! Anyway, this is my opinion and I'm just trying to help you avoid some of the "mistakes" I may have made. Good luck. Looney

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
That is so true. Making your kid cry on the drive way while you go fishing is the best thing that my dad did to me which I have passed on to my son. My son is a fishing fanatic. His first Bass with his trusty spiderman rod combo.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
That bass is bigger then he is. :p

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hey Fishinlooney,
I hit chatfield on Wednesday and couldn't get a hit doing the spooning thing. Is my technique wrong. I used a silver Kroc and blue/silver Kast. I would fish over the side of the boat and would also cast out. I also would hit the same holes the other boats had fished, plus holes where I graphed fish near or on the bottom. Any hints to better success, without giving away to much of your knowledge. Also, my highest respect to you for the love you have for your daughter. All three of my kids (who are now 18, 20, and 21) have been fishing since they could hold a pole and continue to fish today.
catfish_al

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Catfish! I replied in your thread Chatfield troubles before I read this one, sorry. Anyway, stick with the spoons, I've grown to LOVE them!!! What boat were you in on Wednesday? I was in the Lund with the "Valley Country Tackle" sign on the side. My boat is the Mirrocraft "outfitter" with the big fat guy who usually stands up in the back running a tiller electric. Say Hi next time you see me. Looney.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I can't wait to take both of my sons fishing! One will be ready next year and the youngest will be ready the year after next! Hopefully!!! I have a 14 year old also but he doesn't like to fish too much anymore, once in a while he will go tho. He used to love fishing when he was little.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Re: Fishinlooney and Chatfield boat Ramp

Hey Fishinlooney,
Can you believe that I was the guy with the Fisher boat, putting my bimini up at the boat ramp on Wednesday morning that asked you about what type of fishing you were going to be doing. I knew I should have just followed you around that day (oh wait, I did follow you around and still got skunked Ha, Ha). Anyway, I appreaciate all your knowledge and time and I'm sure that our paths will cross again.
catfish_al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts