Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the dam with soft plastics this morning attempting to catch some keeper walleye and ended up with 6 walleye (no keepers but very close) and 5 sm bass.  Three of them were over 15 inches.  My wife wanted fish for dinner and because the walleye weren't cooperating these gals will hit the pan.  The ranger opened the gate at 6am and I left at 9:15.  The last and largest one was caught at about 9:00.

I know some real hogs have been caught out of Aurora but these are as big as I've ever caught.  BTW, I do not make a habbit out of keeping bass so no need to reform me. 

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Those are some pretty fish! Good Job.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
WoW, Very nice looking hogs! How did they taste, was it worth keeping them?

Thanks

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jay, I'll let you know after dinner. I've kept a monster 18" smallie from Trinity Reservoir in No. Calif. while vacationing a couple years ago and it was OK. Kind of bland or maybe that's the way it was cooked. Just wanted fish for dinner and didn't want to stop a Costco for $10 of Salmon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bigbass,  They were full of eggs explaining their big belly.  Does anyone know if the smallies can reproduce in Aurora?  If so I will feel worse than I do already.  The trout and wiper (obviously) can't but I think the perch can.  Don't know about the Walleye but I doubt it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Even if they can make babies I wouldn't feel bad man, but there is no reason they shouldn't be able to reproduce. There are lots of them in there. When I get trout full of eggs I always makes spawn sacs and freeze them for lakers later in the year. Unless your wife wants some bass caviar......

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Herb said:
Bigbass,  They were full of eggs explaining their big belly.  Does anyone know if the smallies can reproduce in Aurora?  If so I will feel worse than I do already.  The trout and wiper (obviously) can't but I think the perch can.  Don't know about the Walleye but I doubt it.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Herb said:
The walleye's, trout and Wipers are stocked. The perch and smallies reproduce there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts