Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived at the marina ramp at 715 am. Walked out a little ways and noticed ice was only 1.5" thick. :p Went to far west side of marina cove and saw about 10 people on the ice. Ice here was around 6". I caught a 14" bo on a minnow in a hour IN  21 FOW. Thought,"the hell with this" and drug my sled about a mile over the ground to Senac cove.  2 dudes were fishing in the dead trees and had caught a bo around 15" on a jig/mealie. I went just south of trees in 18 FOW and put down some minnows. I started icing 12" bo's with regularity and then one of the rods gets hammered and I figure its just another stocker when I see a gold flash under the ice. Yeah! A 12" perch. What I was at Aurora for. Turned out to be the only perch all day. Caught several more bo's and missed a bunch of perch hits in the afternoon. The wind was eating up the ice big time when I called it a day @2pm.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Whooo Slayer, that looks a little spooky!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Slayer you are nuts! But that is a nice Perch!!!! Pulling a sled on the ground all the way to Senac doesn't sound like alot of fun?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
i just heard on the news , that a guy drilling a hole fell threw the ice , they said they got him out ok, front range ice is no longer safe imo

·
Registered
633 Posts
He fell through in front of the boat rental beach where the ice WAS only about an inch and a half thick 10 days ago. I don't know how he even made it far enough to start drilling a hole! We were in the marina cove where the ice was 8 inches thick 10 days ago-BIG difference. Still need to be careful!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I went out to look at Aurora yesterday (12-28-05), didn't look good at all. Open water and very bad ice in the coves. So much for local lakes for awhile!

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If someone is gonna try fishing on 1.5" of ice they deserve whatever they get. Cleanse the gene pool a little bit!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
If someone is gonna try fishing on 1.5" of ice they deserve whatever they get. Cleanse the gene pool a little bit!
For some reason, I thought that was funny but to the point..... On your perch.....

NICE!!

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey 1eye-where ya been? Have ya been ice fishing? ;D It was meant to be both funny and serious,I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
He hehe.. The gene pool part was funny. But yeah, just been hiding out in my cave. Will eventually emerge when the rest of the hibernators come out. Then you will see some serious sunfish pictures.........

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey all, now that open water season looks to be coming early this year, how about sharing tips on where and when to fish Aurora?!
I'm new to fishing this lake but have had success with walleyes and rainbows, starting in April, dragging crawlers slowly between the points on the bay/cove (not sure what the name of it is) just south of the boat landing.
I've heard that there is really good largemouth and wiper action on this lake but really don't know where, when, how to get after them.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Take care. 

1 - 16 of 16 Posts