Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went there for five hours with Eric/CO. We fished marina cove to the point of Senac. Eric caught to decent trout and I caught one smallmouth. ALL in all it was really slow.

I have never seen the water as high as it was today! As we waded thru the flooded cottonwoods there were thousands of 1-2 inch Perch minnows. I imagine everything is getting off a huge spawn this year?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for the report, I was going there tomorrow evening but may try Cherry Creek for walleye instead. Maybe those perch minnows are filling up the bass and trout. Still sounds like a tough lake. I'll be trying it in about a week and will post a report.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Speaking of perch, how has the perch fishing been out there? I have not heard much about it the past couple of years, is it still as good as it was before the drought?

Dan

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had smaller Perch nipping my grubs tail all day and like i said there were little Perch minnows everywhere. With all the flooded brush and cottonwoods I would imagine the perch are going to make a nice recovery? Bass are going to have a good spawn also?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Neal/CO said:
I had smaller Perch nipping my grubs tail all day and like i said there were little Perch minnows everywhere. With all the flooded brush and cottonwoods I would imagine the perch are going to make a nice recovery? Bass are going to have a good spawn also?
So you would recommend waiting at least until the ice season to go target perch at Aurora?

Dan

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sure there are still lot's of perch there? But the lake is now twice as large and there is so much flooded cover, it might take a while to find them in any concentration. Senac point is always a good Perch spot. I would put a small kastmaster or Buckshot spoon on and just cover the flats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was out there on Satuday. Got there early - 5:15 or so. Started out walleye fishing - drifting with bottom bounce crawler rigs in marina cove. The fish are concentrated between 20 to 30' of water, but its difficult to keep the grass off your rig... Anyway I caught the largest perch I've ever caught on the crawler rig - didn't weigh it, but it had to have been over a pound - maybe 11 to 12" Made a good lunch). The boat drifting behind me also caught a nice perch in the same area. That was it for the day. Also tried trolling cranks along the dam - nothing.

I plan to go back just targeting perch, seems like they may be starting to bunch up a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts