Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got there about 8:00 AM this morning. I made the mistake of walking up onto the dam instead of taking the bike path to Senac :mad: Just laziness on my part!

I fished Husky Jerks, topwaters, grubs, tubes and jigworms to no avail. Fianlly I broke down and decided to fish for trout. I caught three on a silver prism Krocadile snapped jigged back. One was about 18" and the other two were 14" Never saw a single smallie or wiper?

About noon I saw a large fish float to the surface about 50 yards in front of me. I suspected it was either a Wiper or a Walleye because of the length and the white stomach. After about an hour it floated into the dam. It was a 29" Walleye :eek: I have seen some healthy fish at Glendo and Cherry Creek, but nothing like this one!!!! It must of weighed 12 lbs when she alive? I have never seen one with such a wide body and so much girth! The shiners, perch and fingerling trout are growing some real pigs in there! I sure wish we could night fish there :mad:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
thats a big walleye, i heard there was some nice fish in there, i have fished it twice without any luck, i want to ice fish it if the ice ever got thick enought

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a picture at Gander Mountain from last winter of a 14 lb eye caught thru the ice. It even had the digital date on it!

I sure hope it freeses this winter? The perch fishing will be great if it does!

·
Registered
374 Posts
the ice got thick enough last year!!we hammered em out there,walleyes,trout,perch.the ice just didnt stay long.marina and senac always have ice.
shawn

·
Registered
833 Posts
Neal,
Got into the smallies at Aurora on Sat morning on the point
between the scuba beach and the adjacent cove.
Man it was a wierd morning. After getting a speeding ticket on Quincy just before the reservoir (the middle of no where), I found out my buddy got pulled over by the same cop 10 minutes earlier and let him off.
I had on a blue/chrome rogue and after casting out quite a ways I got a huge knot in my line. I figured I'd cut it and hand reel in my line so I wouldn't waste time because first light is good fishing at Aurora. While hand retreiving my line a nice smallie hit the rogue. My buddy caught two more on a spook over the point. Caught two more on the far point on tubes. I caught two walleye on a perch Rapala one went 17 and the other 14. We caught 3 or 4 rainbows on tubes and spoons and a few perch. While fishing for perch we pulled up some huge crawdads. The largest smallie we caught looked like it had a huge crawdad in it's stomach. Never saw a wiper but they are out there. Other than the speeding ticket, it was a good morning.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Neal, access to a float tube open up lots of opportunities.
Also, get there when the gate opens and the walleye are still up due to low light levels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts