Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that Aurora Res is electric motor only (right?) Do I have to remove my outboard from the boat?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
The rangers told me last year remove any removable tanks (you don't need to rip permanent tanks out) and the motor needs to be tilted out of the water.

Dan

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
I am 95% sure you dont have to do either anymore...tilt the motor up or remove the gas tank...call them they will tell you and if someone finds out can they post it?

The rangers were pretty cranky last weekend...the wind was about 20 mph out of the south...the boat ramp faces south which makes it interesting just launching...much less motoring all over the lake...yet people were still motoring all the way over to the dam on the north side...batteries couldnt get back in the wind and boats had to be towed back by the ranger...if you arent noticed in time your boat gets beached on the concrete dam...pounded into the concrete...I have seen some pretty nice boats get punished pretty bad...there was one guy last weekend they were pretty concerned about...he kept motoring back and forth along the dam...the ranger remarked he wasnt going to be able to get back and he said what was worse is he had his teeny tiny little girl with...you could barely see her head sticking out of the bottom of the boat...sure enough they had to beach it on the dam...jumping to their safety in those breakers...the rangers just want people to use common sense...I have a 24 volt stern motor...and a 12 volt bow mount...I can go through 4 batteries on a moderately windy day...I am not trying to scare anyone here...just use your head...if it is windy...stay in the marina cove...or the side the wind is blowing from...

Usually the wind pattern is as follows out there...early to mid morning the wind blows from the south or southwest whereby it dies out or slows down for a few hours and then switches to the east...this is just the norm...it does not mean it will happen every time...the wind out there eats batteries...there is plenty of great shoreline to fish with much access to deep water...

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just got a boat with a 12V bow mount only. Do you think I should get a stern motor for a 16' boat to be safe on the lake? Also, can you estimate about how long a 12V motor and battery will last under continuos use? Thanks for any help, I don't want to get caught out there in the rocks.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
How long your battery will last depends on a lot of factors, 2 of the biggest are..........

1. The more thrust it puts out the greater the power drain.
2. The quality of your battery and how many cold cranking amps it has.(a 500 amp battery will not last as long as a 700 amp.)

As for a stern mount vs a bow mount. I have found when battling winds like at Aurora I have better boat control with the bow mount. I am pulling the boat rather than pushing it. With the stern mount, going into the wind the bow acts like a sail and will get pushed to the side requiring a lot more correction. You end up doing a lot more zig zagging, and since there are very few submarines looking to sink a fishing boat in Colorado a Straighter course is better unless you are deliberately zig zagging (like during a troll)

On thing that a lot of people forget is you need a longer shaft for bow mounting than you do for stern mounting.

Hope this helps a bit

Dan

·
Registered
440 Posts
1 battery is not enough, unless you're fishing only half a day

2 batteries is enough to fish all day

3 batteries: I've put three in the boat, and over a year, never had to use the third battery.

[Except that one time. Unless, like me, you heard of Murphy's law:

IF ANYTHING CAN GO WRONG: IT WILL

Something did go wrong. My oldest battery died on an over-nighter. Since I'd taken 3 batteries for the overnighter, it was no problem, and I caught some REALLY nice fish.]

2 is all you need.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Nawanda said:
  1 battery is not enough,  unless you're fishing only half a day

2 batteries is enough to fish all day

3 batteries:    I've put three in the boat, and over a year,  never had to use the third battery.

[Except that one time. Unless,  like me,  you heard of Murphy's law:

IF ANYTHING CAN GO WRONG:  IT WILL

Something did go wrong. My oldest battery died on an over-nighter.  Since I'd taken 3 batteries for the overnighter, it was no problem, and I caught some REALLY nice fish.]

2 is all you need.
Ah, thankx. Now I know to buy just one more. Yeah, last time I took the boat to Union, I fished for half a day and realized that I was almost out of juice. I think I'll by two more just for backup and things will be ok...... I hope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts