Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aurora Reservoir

Directions: 2 miles east of Gunclub on Quincy. The entrance is the same for Arapahoe Park Racetrack.

Fee: $4 per vehicle

Boating: Electric, hand-propelled and sailboats only. One boat ramp

Fish: Largemouth and smallmouth bass, rainbow and brown trout, crappie, channel catfish, wiper, blue catfish, yellow perch and walleye

Water Acres: 640

Elevation: 5,930 feet

Managing Agency: City of Aurora. For more information call (303) 690-1286.

Do they really have blue catfish and crappie there? I've seen reports of channels, wipers, stockers & other species coming out of there, but never heard of blues & crappie.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ihave heard and even read reports of crappie from ther but never seen it for my self

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
roadkill said:
ihave heard and even read reports of crappie from ther but never seen it for my self
Have you fished there? I'm thinkin' about giving this lake a shot.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Small crappies used to be a common catch at Aurora but I have not caught, seen, or heard of one being caught in several years. I'm not sure what happened to them but I have a feeling the wipers had something to do with it.  ;)

As far as the blue catfish go, they were stocked when the lake was filled. I'm sure there is a small population of them left in the lake. I know there are some huge channel cats in there, I just wish the reservoir was open at night  :mad:.         

·
Registered
117 Posts
I 've heard about the cats, but have never caught or seen any. I had good luck w/ the crappies, but not for at least 5 years now. I think the lake is pretty tough sometimes, but there are plenty of good sized fish in there. You just have to be patient.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AJ said:
You just have to be patient.
Yep, patience is a part of fishing.

Thanks guys!

That helps.

Hopefully I can get up early enough before the heat kicks in.

Oh, one more thing. To get there, can I take Parker Rd. to Quincy and then Quincy east to the Reservoir?

·
Registered
943 Posts
i wish they would keep it open at night. that is one of my biggest problems with alot of these lakes in the metro area. why do they have to close at night?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don Broeren said:
Small crappies used to be a common catch at Aurora but I have not caught, seen, or heard of one being caught in several years. I'm not sure what happened to them but I have a feeling the wipers had something to do with it.  ;)

As far as the blue catfish go, they were stocked when the lake was filled. I'm sure there is a small population of them left in the lake. I know there are some huge channel cats in there, I just wish the reservoir was open at night  :mad:.         
I bet those wipers run really big there(seen some pics). Night fishing would be great there if they have some big cats and big wipers.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
afishman said:
i wish they would keep it open at night. that is one of my biggest problems with alot of these lakes in the metro area. why do they have to close at night?
Have to keep the kids out of there watching the underwater submarine races and have to make sure no one can drop their bodies or guns off.

tbmanivong said:
Don Broeren said:
Small crappies used to be a common catch at Aurora but I have not caught, seen, or heard of one being caught in several years. I'm not sure what happened to them but I have a feeling the wipers had something to do with it. ;)

As far as the blue catfish go, they were stocked when the lake was filled. I'm sure there is a small population of them left in the lake. I know there are some huge channel cats in there, I just wish the reservoir was open at night :mad:.
I bet those wipers run really big there(seen some pics). Night fishing would be great there if they have some big cats and big wipers.
If anyone knows about the wipers in Aurora its Don

·
Banned
487 Posts
afishman said:
Simply because they like to have excuses to restrict access and bother people.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Ice, you are right...there is probably no rational reason it is closed at night (vandelism, lack of $$ to patrol, etc...). It is becaues they are just plain MEAN!!!
left_turn56

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Well, um... Someone's gonna shoot at my Marley mug shot for saying this, but... Those park hours may have something to do with the reason why them catfish and wipers are so big there.......  ???

Maybe they should start a thing where people pay extra to gain access to night fishing. Like a yearly permit or something and make it just about pricey enough that only folks who REALLY REALLY want to fish at night there will buy it. Ok, bad suggestion, nevermind.

I'll try to slip the park ranger $200 bucks to split with his ranger buddies this coming season  ;)

·
Banned
487 Posts
left_turn56 said:
Ice, you are right...there is probably no rational reason it is closed at night (vandelism, lack of $$ to patrol, etc...). It is becaues they are just plain MEAN!!!
left_turn56
Do I sense sarcasm? Just because idiots might vandalize or they can't patrol around to harass us, which I know they do at Aurora (ask anyone), is no reason to deny access for fishing.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sarcasm is just one of the services I offer! Unfortunately, if there is vandalism (or other after hour issues) they have to do something. They have chosen to close the lake to fishing at night. I do not think this is a power trip, conspiracy, or attempt to draw aliens to a good landing spot. While I do not have all the facts (if you do, fill me in!), I am sure it is much more a fiscal reason as opposed to a "power" reason.
Left_turn56

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I fish there alot also and have never seen a crappie?

I know the walleye fishing would be really good if we could fish at night! Especially in a lake as clear as that one!

·
Registered
324 Posts
well this sounds like an issue that could be solved by just some research and a well thought out proposal. oh by the way money talks in politics

1 - 20 of 37 Posts