Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Aurora for the first time this spring. Was windy and cold all morning but worth it!!! Got four walleye off the dam. The first one was 18" and hit a X-Rap on my fifth cast. I fished the X-Rap and Pointer 78 for the next two hours and hads lots of fish following but not striking. Switched to 4" Power Minnow and started snap jigging and thats what they wanted!! I must of missed about a half dozen hits before I switched out my spool to Fireline. Between 11 to noon I caught three eye's including a pretty nice 20" eye that really fought! I didn't bring a plastic bag or stringer so i let the two keepers go. STill it was alot of fun to finally find some eye's there!

The fish were in full spawn and all squirting lots of milt and seemed to be holding at about five feet deep.  I would let my jig flutter down and they would just be there when I lifted my rod for the next stroke. Do yourself a favor and start with some kind of braid or you will miss alot of fish like I did :mad:

·
Registered
674 Posts
I also have caught a few walleye lately but I don't think it is anywhere near full swing. The ones that I have caught have all been small and in the shallow water. They also have all come on the bone colored pointer 78. Those trout won't leave that lure alone either.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were all males that i caught today, and they were squirting all over the place! Makes you wonder how many big female eye's are out off the dam in deeper water waiting to come in this evening and lay their eggs?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Neal, did you fish from shore or on the boat???????? What time Aurora Reservoir open the morning and what time did they close the gate........... What is the limit for walleye out there?
O0

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I caught my first fish at about 9:00 AM and my last around noon. Unfortunately you can't fish at night there!

I was fishing off the dam. The wind was blowing in to the dam today and it was kind of overcast. Perfect conditions really?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
when using fireline do use a leader or just tie it directly to the hook?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tie in 3' of 10 lb Floro with a blood knot. The Fireline allows you to cast farther in the wind and keep in touch with your jig! The dam at Aurora isn't very rocky and you rarely snag up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here here for Fireline!!.. I know I have caught WAY more fish since using Fireline (several several years)...couple it up with Berkley Vanish for your leader. I have all of this on my Berkley Lightning Rod...kinda a wannabe Team Berkley...Berkley Lightning Rod, Berkley Fireline and Berkley Vanish!..
Trust me from experience..I won't use anything else...best buy goin' for the $$$$...WallyWorld has THE BEST prices on this stuff too..anywayz TrophyTime over n' out....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I am going to have to give it a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn't have to be Fireline! There are lots of good braids. I could of really used a High Vis line yesterday, since they were hitting my jig on the fall! All I felt when the first fish hit the X-Rap was a tick! And I don't think I would of felt that using mono

Cabela's Ripcord is excellent also!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Neal, I looked at the smaller x raps (X8?) and I think they would work great at Aurora for walleye. Do you know if they make it in a perch? I have the minnow and rainbow colors but have not tried them yet. Bought some of the bigger ones last year but no success. Must be too big or I suck (probably the latter).
I've had good success with the Rapala minnow type in the perch pattern.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In the past I have mostly used Rogues and Husky Jerks. Last year I bought about a half dozen X-Raps, but barely used them. I had been reading so much about how effective they are when the water is really cold, so that is why I made myself fish with one yesterday. I haven't gotten any of the smaller models yet.

Don't be afraid to use the bigger versions! The majority of my baits are 4 1/2" long.

·
Registered
833 Posts
4 1/2 in black and chrome rogue works great out there
at dusk or when there is a chop. The big rainbows will hit them too. I just like the way fish hit a jerk bait.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Over the last five years, I have had the pleasure to fish with alot good walleye fisherman that I have met thru Walleye Central. Dave Kooser, Eric Ewing, Work2fish, Scott Golden and Walleye970. Every one of them has at least one tray full of Rogues and Husky jerks!!!!

I plan to fish X-Raps, Pointers and the new Excalibur baits alot this spring also! If you can find some of the old Yozuri Twitchin Minnows, they are great trout lures!!!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
bigwallymag said:
Hey Neal, did you fish from shore or on the boat???????? What time Aurora Reservoir open the morning and what time did they close the gate........... What is the limit for walleye out there?
O0
The limit on walleye there is 5 and they have to be over 18" and if I'm not mistaken only one can be over 21".

M

·
0 Posts
Neal, was that you I talked too, I was with two other guys, me in camo pants? I think it was...anyway, we eneded up with two trout, thats it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts