Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I are new to the East slope and are having a hard time finding places to fish that you can catch a lot of fish. We are use to 30-50 fish days on the west slope and over here we get 5-10 fish.

Does anyone know if Aurora is any good to ice fish? Multi species? any help would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,800 Posts
30 plus fish days are a rare thing through the ice this side of the mountains. We use to pound fish pretty good but that was then. Only place I can think of would be CC if you can find the pan fish which is a crap shoot. Maybe Boyd up north for multi species but haven't herd to much up north this year. Send Fishgirlcarl a email he always catchs 100 a day :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,804 Posts
30 plus fish days are a rare thing through the ice this side of the mountains. We use to pound fish pretty good but that was then. Only place I can think of would be CC if you can find the pan fish which is a crap shoot. Maybe Boyd up north for multi species but haven't herd to much up north this year. Send Fishgirlcarl a email he always catchs 100 a day :D
This. And AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ^^^^ :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
What the hell, I'll throw out a bone as I haven't in awhile.

Aurora is your best bet for those kind of numbers, IF you know the place. Most around here like to call it the dead sea but that has never been the case for me. If i can get out to the depths I can just kill jumbo perch all day and get into walleye as well.
Key is to MOVE ALOT. You ain't gonna catch big numbers just sitting on a bucket all day. When I'm out there I cover alot of ice and drill probably no less than 100 holes a day. If you don't have a VEX (or similar) just forget it. You can be in 50ft of water there and pound suspended walleye at 15-25ft down, once again no sonar no fishy.
My lures through the ice there are very simple. Kasty's, Rapalas, Genz bugs, Wax worms or maggots must be tipped on these. Minnows just kickin on the bottom will net you perch,trout and walleye as well.
Areas of attack.
Senac cove. Get in the channel @30ft and whale on trout. Any side of the cove, @12ft roughly and find weeds, Whale on perch. Walleyes are also abundant in that cove just about anywhere.
Mouth of senac is good too. Find 50ft and start chasing perch.
Scuba beach(if the ice is good,it never really is) you can easily limit on perch over there.
Right out in front of the parking lot in the deep water(40-50ft) trout city.
Marina cove(way too crouded as thats the lazy fisherman spot) but i have done well on perch and trout there. Got a giant trout there a few years back.
If anybody has the want for a big trout at A-town just go to the 40-50ft areas and hang a GIANT SHINER, not minnow,on a hook about a foot of the bottom and wait.
I've caught my largest trout there on a 5" shiner.Lost a GIANT brown at the hole there about 10 years ago, maybe 10 lbs, wouldn't come through a 6" hole. Broke off when trying to cut another next to it. There are browns in there as the Rangers took a picture of me holding up a 4 lber back 10yrs or so ago. Same spot i broke of that monster. Straight out from parking lot 45ft of water.
I will admit the fishing has slowed there, but a guy that goes out there and works hard for it will not be dissapointed.
good luck,hope this helped a little. To anybody.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Piker. We do have electronics. FL-8 has been great and a camera if we get on them. I really appreciate your advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
30-50 fish days are easier up in the mountains on lakes that not everyone whores out. I got a fish counter because I can keep count past a dozen. Heck some fish I catch without a hook. Will have to get that on the go pro next trip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,800 Posts
Piker your report gives me hope but I think your report is 5-7 years old. Who knows maybe your the Jedi Master out there but I know quit a few really good fisherman that fish it multiple times a week and know one has had that kinda luck in along time. I'm guessing 95% of your report is bull **** but I'm hoping for the remaining 5% to be true. I miss the old days out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
another tip about a-town that i didn't mention.

Every walleye and trout i've caught from there were plum full of baby crawdads. Get it?

Every perch i've opened up was plum full of red bloodworms. Get it?

Match the hatch if ya can boys.

For what it's worth I no longer ice fish. I recently had a child and believe staying alive is better for him than having a dead daddy that was once an awesome ice fisherman.
I was a little crazy on the ice and would usually be the first out there on VERY thin ice. No more risking it.

With that said I don't mind passing on the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,804 Posts
Piker your report gives me hope but I think your report is 5-7 years old. Who knows maybe your the Jedi Master out there but I know quit a few really good fisherman that fish it multiple times a week and know one has had that kinda luck in along time. I'm guessing 95% of your report is bull **** but I'm hoping for the remaining 5% to be true. I miss the old days out there.
Aurora Res = the worst kept secret in the Metro :D

I agree with PT, no why in hell you're catching stacks of jumbos out there now. I know some really good fishermen that fish that lake hard for perch, and are lucky to leave with 6-8 true jumbos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Piker your report gives me hope but I think your report is 5-7 years old. Who knows maybe your the Jedi Master out there but I know quit a few really good fisherman that fish it multiple times a week and know one has had that kinda luck in along time. I'm guessing 95% of your report is bull **** but I'm hoping for the remaining 5% to be true. I miss the old days out there.
This makes me laugh. I was waiting for a post like that and it came quick.

For the folks out there that are going to bag on me because they have had a tough time with that lake, SORRY about your lack of success. I really am, but I come from the east coast and use different tactics than you guys out here. I have had great success doing so. And don't give 2 fucks about your thoughts on my success in fishing one of the best lakes on the front range.
CHEERS.

Have hope dude. It happens there. WORK for it. Quit sittin on bucket praying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Aurora Res = the worst kept secret in the Metro :D

I agree with PT, no why in hell you're catching stacks of jumbos out there now. I know some really good fishermen that fish that lake hard for perch, and are lucky to leave with 6-8 true jumbos.
As of late yes you are correct. Once again they are there in big numbers. and limiting out is not out of the question.

Keep moving to find the active jumbs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
However not to go back on my words here. I DID NOT fish through the ice this year. Maybe I GUESS, it got fished out or a kill off happened with me knowing it? It can't be that bad now. I've never noticed it declining in numbers. Just had to work harder for em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
For what it's worth I no longer ice fish. I recently had a child and believe staying alive is better for him than having a dead daddy that was once an awesome ice fisherman.
I almost believed your fairy tail until you said that you quit ice fishing when you had a kid. :rolleyes: You sure sound like a hardcore fisherman. :rolleyes: I would have quit a long time ago, if that how things work. :D:D:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,804 Posts
Piker, no need to be defensive man. No one is "calling" you out. I've literally been fishing that lake since it opened. Do I know everything about it? Absolutely not, but what I do know is how that lake has been fishing in the last 3-5 years. It's not like it used to be. (god I hate that term)

Numbers aside, it still produces some nice fish, but the high number fish days are much fewer and farther apart than they once were. All good, change is the only constant. And yep, we should all learn to adapt and deal with it. All that said, you must be in a small minority of fishermen who have big numbers days out there regularly, cuz even the stupid stocker trout barely come in double digit days out there anymore.

Basically, I guess what everyone has been saying to the OP is, if you're expecting to find fish in high quantities out there, and you've never put in the time, you're likely to be in for a world of disappointment.

Just sayin....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
I almost believed your fairy tail until you said that you quit ice fishing when you had a kid. :rolleyes: You sure sound like a hardcore fisherman. :rolleyes: I would have quit a long time ago, if that how things work. :D:D:D
You need not believe me. That's fine. Me no care. I haven't quit fishin just took the year off to enjoy the kid and stay safe. Next year= jumbs in belly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,800 Posts
In the last 4-5 years theres been what maybe 3 total weeks there has been safe ice out on the perch flats. Everyone is usually confined to the bays and marina. Just got off the phone with Slayer he's there now and he said no way we can get to where we use to kill them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Piker, no need to be defensive man. No one is "calling" you out. I've literally been fishing that lake since it opened. Do I know everything about it? Absolutely not, but what I do know is how that lake has been fishing in the last 3-5 years. It's not like it used to be. (god I hate that term)

Numbers aside, it still produces some nice fish, but the high number fish days are much fewer and farther apart than they once were. All good, change is the only constant. And yep, we should all learn to adapt and deal with it. All that said, you must be in a small minority of fishermen who have big numbers days out there regularly, cuz even the stupid stocker trout barely come in double digit days out there anymore.

Basically, I guess what everyone has been saying to the OP is, if you're expecting to find fish in high quantities out there, and you've never put in the time, you're likely to be in for a world of disappointment.

Just sayin....
I agree. It has fished worse in the last 5 years. But I have still done well out there. Double digit trout days are a thing of the past. Perch have come on strong. But ya gotta about kill yourself moving around is my point. Geez I really hope i'm not the only guy that has had good number days out there in the last 5 years. Makes me feel a little bad.
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top