Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished of the dam for about two hours yesterday. There were maybe 8 others there when
I started. They all appeared to be fishing bait on the bottom. I did see one guy catch a
fish and put it on a stringer that had another fish on it. Guessing that they were both trout
as they were too short to be legal walleye. He was still fishing when I left, even though he
had his limit and catch and release is iffy when fish are deep hooked as is often the case when
bottom fishing with bait.
I started by throwing spinners and had no luck. Switched to a kastmaster and caught
two rainbows (12 and 14 inches). Missed 4 other hits and had one fish follow right up to
the dam.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was there today noon to 230, one boat on the water, walked the dam throwing spinners, castmasters, no good, wind in towards the dam about 15-20 mph, pretty chilly too., just a lot of casting practice, no hits, no fish.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was out there yesterday and the fishing was alright. Was out there about five to six hours but the fishing was the best around noon time. Between my father and i we caught three rainbows with several soft bites in between. Fighting the wind was a drag but i think i caught my biggest rainbow in my life (I didn't set a new state record but a nice size for me). We caught two around 14 to 16 inches and the big one was over easily over 20 and FAT. Fishin' off the dam and on the bottom. hit on worms and green power bait. anyone ever fished the tournament out there in the past? said there is one on may 13th with $25,000 :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
247 Posts
So you wanna fish the tournament. I personaly think its a joke. The word of the year last year for it was "cluster flop". Imagine sitting in a mile long line of trucks and cars at 5:00am with 800+ people in the tournament. And its only 25000 if you catch the tagged fish. Last year was my first time and my wife and I have sworn that off. People were so crammed into the water that you had to flip your lures/baits cause a normal cast would land in another boat. Good luck though, its worth the experience.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Probably not, but i think it is worth going once though just to see it, who knows, someone may hook into the money fish. Last year the first tagged fish was caught and turned in within 30 minutes of the tournament starting. No one caught the big money fish though. Most people were catching fish on green power bait on the bottom. I did see a little kid holding a nice trout he caught on a small count down rapala.

M

·
0 Posts
Aurora...I'm scared of that lake, hehehe.

Last year I fished the tourney, was near the front of the line all night, got to the dam...BOOM, all fishing ethics thrown out the window. Idiots casting over you, cramming right next to you...I saw two fish caught all day, it was riidiculous...I will not ever fish that tournament again.

The most exciting part of the day was when a school of gian wipers cruised by the dam, that's an incredible sight.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The last time I fished that tournament was about 6 years ago.  Didn't catch a single trout all day but the walleyes put on a good show.  There were three of us in the boat and a total of 15 walleye for the day with only one under 18 inches.  Lets just say that I wasn't that disappointed. My best was 24 that day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts