Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didnt get out on the dam until 6:00 am UGH...had high hopes based on last weekend...I just took leeches, jigs, and a few cranks...started fishing for walleyes...got an 18 incher in the first 15 minutes...wanted walleye fillets bad but wasnt sure how the rangers would measure it since it was right on the mark so I put him back...my friend Tom got his kitchen pass revoked for the day...my other friend Dennis showed up around 7:30...we waited and waited for the wipers to appear...they really didnt...Dennis had a hit from one around 9 am and missed it...4 more hours and no cruising fish...I finally spotted one and had to cast a little crazy across my body and he jumped on the bait immediately...I had the drag set as loose as could be and hooked him...he ran immediately...the line must of been wrapped some how...because I got that 22 gunshot noise of line parting...not much room for error with a 10 pound wiper and 4 pound line...can you say colorful language...I hate it when I do something stooooopid...we waited one more hour an left at 2 pm...only saw a handful of cruisers...saw a few pretty good bass but they werent real interested...saw one guy catch a trout...the monster midges are still going full bore so I imagine the lack of trout being caught are due to the fact that they are sitting on the bottom sucking up midge larva as they crawl out of the muck...not sure if the cold front recently put the wipers down or they are done for the year???...well that is all I know which isnt much!

Kind of interesting they are putting an aerator in...from the tower to the west shore...I talked to Dale (ranger) about it...kind of weird to put aerators in lakes that never would freeze long enough to winter kill...they need them in Lake John and the Delaneys...any one know why they would put aerators a lake that probably wouldnt winter kill?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
They have aerators at Quincy too. My understanding is they help to mix the water and keep the overall quality of the water high.

In lakes like Aurora they could be beneficial to the fishery in more ways than maintaining the overall water quality (for drinking). By mixing the water you have less deep water at alow oxygen level. by keeping the entire water column oxygenated you increase the amount of usable water for fish of all species. A draw back though is it also gives fish more usable water to hide in and they could potentially be deeper ithan we expect if the water levels are more uniformly oxygenated.

Dan

·
Registered
307 Posts
Would you be willing to share what you use to chase the Wipers? Are you trolling? Are they near the dam? If I go out today (weather is looking wet) I might just give it a try.Thanks

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I had a sick feeling last Monday when I was walking back to my truck that I may have missed my chance at one of those big wiper :mad: Three trips over there and I never even hooked one. Of course it is my own fault for not fishing live bait! I did get some nice smallies so far though!

Where do you think they go when they stop cruising?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was fishing from the dam for about 2 1/2 hours on Friday. Not a thing--nada tostada. One or two guys caught trout on PB, but I was throwing leeches and worms, hoping for wiper or walleye. The lady ranger came by, said wiper weren't around that day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts