Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  On Sunday I fished Aurora Reservoir for Wipers and Walleye, but ended up with six trout.  The weather was nice.  It was a little cool, and overcast, with little to no wind.  The water temperature was 53 degrees in some places and 56 in others.

I started fishing from my kayak shortly after 6:30am.  On one pole I had a Rapala Husky Jerk and on the other I had a Kastmaster.  Out of the marina I headed across the lake, towards a flock of birds on the water.  I circled the birds three times casting my Kastmaster, and trolling my Rapala before I caught my first fish, a 14in. rainbow trout.

For the next five hours I trolled and tossed Kastmasters, Rapalas, Rat-L-Traps, jigs, swim baits, and crankbaits with no bites.

In Senac cove I gave up on the Wipers and Walleye and started fishing for trout.  I caught four rainbow trout in an hour drop shoting sinkos on one rod and fly lining sinkos on the other.  All the trout were in the 12in or less category.

As I was heading back to meet my wife for lunch at 2pm, I saw a school of Wipers near the swim beach.  I quickly tide on a Kastmaster and Rapala and started casting in front of them.  They were very spooky and darted away when the lures hit the water.

After lunch I trolled around the swim beach for an hour tossing a Kastmaster and a Rapala, with no luck.  I then headed back to Senac cove where I tried Kastmasters, Rapalas, Rat-L-Traps, jigs, and crankbaits with one trout coming on a Rapala.

I went back to the swim beach at 5pm and tossed Rapala to the beach until the lake closed.  I had no more bites.

All in all, another typical day at Aurora Reservoir.  I fish for Walleye and/or Wipers, and all I get are rainbow trout.

M

·
0 Posts
Well, a few trout is better than no fish at all.

Fishing from a kayak sounds like a lot of multitasking. Is it difficult to maintain control, reel in fish, tie on lures, and stay afloat all at the same time? Is your kayak specially designed for fishing.

I have yet to catch a Colorado wiper, but the only ones I have seen have been big ones in schools at Aurora. My experience was the same as yours. I could see them coming along the dam, but the second my lure came near them, they split.

Thanks for the report. Aurora is on my list of places to go before it gets cold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 12? two person ocean kayak. Fishing from it is second nature to me; for I?ve been doing it for over 11 years. I can work two rods with no problem, and have caught thousands of fish from it. This year I mounted a camera to my kayak so I can get some photos of me with my fish. I fish about 40 weekends a year, and at least 30 of them from my kayak.

In the two years I?ve lived here in Colorado, I?ve fished Aurora Reservoir about ten times, and all I?ve ever caught are rainbow trout. Each time I hit Aurora I focus on different types of lures, and often lures not known for catching trout. I?ve caught trout in Aurora on yellow jigs, 9 inch swim baits, large Rapalas, Rat-L-Traps, and crankbaits.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Kayak camera mount...now that's sweet! I have been messin' around with ways to attach my camera onto my pontooner but haven't got a setup that I like yet.

These days it seems like my camera has become just as important as the rest of my gear.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Those Wiper  there are very frustrating!!!!! I have fished there probably 15 times this year and still haven't caught one :mad: I did do pretty well on smallmouths there this year!

I hope it has safe ice this year?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Neal,
I've done Ok on smallies but nothing of any size.
I've only fished around the marina and the scuba cove.
Where have you done the best on smallies? Senac?
Thanks

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
Can't wait for the ice on Aurora this winter-should be a good time. I'm a Perchaholic when I'm out there.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I am hoping we have good ice there too. I am afraid with the mild fall we have had that we will not have good ice. But lets cross our fingers and hope he curse from Zman wears off soon and does not affect Ice fishing.

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts