Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished this lake yesterday with a buddy and my pops. Mixed bag, including 2 walleye, about a dozen trout, and about 20 of the biggest perch I have ever seen in my life. The perch measured anywhere from 11'' to 13'' with the girth to match (footballs). A few were bigger than the rainbows we iced. Amazing! Was taking pics when the freaking battery died on the digital camera.

We used minnows with jigging raps and Kastmasters at various depths, and action was pretty good all afternoon.

The ice is relatively new and about 3.5'' thick. With the warm weather coming this week, I don't think it will last until next weekend. :'(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the report. Sounds like an awesome day on the perch. Curious when you say 3.5" of ice, were you in a bay or out in the main part of the lake that recently froze? Also, was there any particular depth that seemed better or worse? Hopefully the ice will remain for a day or two longer...
JCT

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The walleyes were 15'' and 16.5'' respectively and kinda pale. We were in between 25' and 30' of water out in the main lake straight out from Marina Cove. This is the part that just froze last week and most likely will not last until the weekend due to the warm temps and accompanying wind Aurora is so famous for.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
When it comes to perch I practice ...catch & grease.....That some good eating..........btw.........Quincy opens on March 1st .....I catch lots of perch at Quincy..aqveraging 8 - 10 inches....wth an ocassional large one.......never got into any at Aurora. Whats a good place to fish for perch at Aurora.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Yakatut said:
When it comes to perch I practice ...catch & grease.....That some good eating..........btw.........Quincy opens on March 1st .....I catch lots of perch at Quincy..aqveraging 8 - 10 inches....wth an ocassional large one.......never got into any at Aurora. Whats a good place to fish for perch at Aurora.
Where at Quincy are you finding the perch?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I catch em mostly with small plastic lures that are about 1 inch, i bought a bag of misc plastic lures from ebay and found a bunch of salted crafish in em. I put on a split shot at the bottom and tie the lure about 15 inches tot eh top with about 2 feet of 5x flyline. The crafish are under 1 inche in lenght. The tough part is keeping the bass from taking your hooked perch.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Yakatut said:
I catch em mostly with small plastic lures that are about 1 inch, i bought a bag of misc plastic lures from ebay and found a bunch of salted crafish in em. I put on a split shot at the bottom and tie the lure about 15 inches tot eh top with about 2 feet of 5x flyline. The crafish are under 1 inche in lenght. The tough part is keeping the bass from taking your hooked perch.
Problem with the salted crayfish is that soft plastics under 1 1/2" were not legal at Quincy last year. This
year the fact that they are salted makes them illegal to use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts