Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Aurora Reservoir on 02/27/05

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  slayerfish 
#1 ·
I was really lazy on Sunday...couldnt get the Z arse moving...stopped by Gander and picked up a fresh supply of fatheads...didnt get to the reservoir and fishing until 3pm...it hasnt been a great late afternoon lake in the past for me...not too crowded...about like normal...63 people in the first 150 yards of the dam...5 on all the rest...I walked until I got away from people...I just bait fished...so did my partner Tom...he used powerbait on one pole...a minnow on the other...I fished a minnow on a floating jig head...and one a couple feet under a small bobber...I only caught one fish a 14 inch male rainbow in bright spawning colors...he hit the bobber rig...I talked to the ranger...he said everyone was doing quite well...pretty much all trout...he said they were real shallow...he said earlier in the day you could see them swimming back and forth in a couple feet of water...it was mostly sunny and the wind kept switching from the east to the north...it was a light wind...a lot nicer out there than the Saturday forecasts predicted...he also said the boat ramp will open March 15th...it also closes December 15...those dates are now set in stone...they wont change from year to year...he also says the reservoir is 1.5 vertical feet from being full...it has been brought up 22 vertical feet...they will bring it the rest of the way up in the next two weeks...I guess there is a big construction project going where they are going to have to cut the pipes from Rampart Reservoir...so there wont be any new water all summer long...he says they should just be just fine getting through the summer with plenty of water...well that is about all I know..

See less See more
#3 ·
So now I know where the upwelling of water was coming from. I'm sure going to miss it this summer.

A vertical rise of 22 feet is going to significantly change fish behavior in the res, but I don't know how yet.

Excellent report Zman. Very thorough. Thanks very much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.