Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was supposed to go fishing with my father in-law tomorrow at Chatfield, but I believe he's bailed on me since I haven't heard from him and it's now 9:10. I'm going to take the float tube over to Aurora tomorrow, but i'm not sure what time the gate opens.

Also, any hot spots for the wiper action? I'm looking for bass or trout. What's the word for Aurora? :) Hopefully I'll be able to add a report tomorrow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you fish Aurora much, you may want to bookmark this page-http://www.auroragov.org/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&ssDocName=006758&ssSourceNodeId=930 . It has the hours of operation.
A friend and I fished there Sat. evening. I caught 1 12'' Rainbow and 5 small Perch back in Senac Cove. Real slow.
I haven't seen any Wipers in months. I sure would like to catch one before winter. Anyone have any secrets they would like to share on the elusive monsters?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we ended up going to chatfield with the boat. didnt hit anything over by the dam, but went over to the no-wake area and hit tons of fish. as soon as we got into the no wake area, my father inlaw hit a walleye on a huge blue shad dive-to. not five minutes after that, he pulled in a little rainbow with the same lure. i couldnt believe these trout were hitting this huge dive-to.

it was a good catching day, ended up hitting one walleye, 6 trout, and a smallish smallmouth. i caught three trout and the smallmouth on a yellow rooster tail.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I fish there quite a bit and have seen only one wiper caught this season. It was 12 lbs by a guy fishing off the dam with leeches.
I've caught them out there in previous years on chrome rattle traps and chrome rogues.
Saw one boil in the swim beach area right next to a guy's boat. Instead of just dropping something right in the middle of them, he used his trolling motor to back up.
As I was kicking as fast as I could in my float tube to get to them, I think he spooked the school and no one hooked up. If you've seen and heard them explode on the surface
you never forget.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hammer, thanks for the info.I have fished Aurora at least once a week since spring, but have yet to hook into one of those bad boys. From what I've gathered from this site, it sounds like they get more aggressive in the fall, so maybe I have a chance yet.

F

·
0 Posts
I think to effectively chase wipers you need a motorized boat . I've been at union a couple times and have seen boils just out of casting distance ....From what ive heard chasin wiper's birds are a big help and you need the ablility to move across a body of water in a hurry to cast into that feeding frenzy . These hybrid fish are a great addition to colorado I think we should all thank the d.o.w. for these freshwater beast's (tiger muskies, wipers)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Here's a pic of a 10 pounder I caught at Aurora last Tuesday. Think Husky Jerks, X-Raps, and Smithwick's. I wrote an article on fishing for wipers in the October issue, be sure to check it out!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i think he said it was a ten pounder

1 - 14 of 14 Posts