Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing large numbers of wipers in the shallow all around the lake but I can't seem to get them to bite ANYTHING. If anyone has put a pattern to these fish I would truely appreciate some advice. I haven't caught a wiper yet but they sure look like they would be fun.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Im pretty sure if u showed someone how to catch 5 walleyes everyday like u do out in aurora, they would show u how to get a wiper to bite.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ouch!

·
Registered
9 Posts
   I can't help, but I spent a couple hours today trying to figure it out. I threw every bait I had at them, I could see two big ones chasing each other but nothing, one fisherman had a good one from early he said he caught it with leachs,

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I tried all spring last year? The only time I came close was one that followed a big smallmouth I caught in and tried to take the tube out of it's mouth. I didn't fish the dam last Monday, but I am sure they were there swimming back and forth, torturing everyone fishing along the dam.

I have heard that if you can time it right when they stocked trout, that big swimbaits will work? Zman got one a couple of weeks ago, ask him.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
A couple of people I have talked to would just use cut anchovies or shrimp when they fish for Wipers.  When I lived in Oklahoma, I caught them all the time using Shad that was caught with bait nets. I also caught them off of various fish immitating lures.

If I was going to try to catch Wipers, I would use the biggest Shad or Shiners you can find from Gander. Cast them out either with a small splitshot 2-3ft.  above the hook and slowly reel them in.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for those who offered advice. I am going to try again sometime this week and hopefully my luck will change. I wish I could show people how to catch the walleye right now but the bite has turned cold. Didn't even get one last time I was out, but the smallies are coming around.
HookNLine all I was asking for was some advice, doesn't mean anyone has to give it. Sorry if the walleye have treated you poorly this year but thats not my problem.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I' d say it's fair trade, I don't think HnL meant any harm...ok I just don't want another thread to devolve...
I've had occasional luck (and by occasional, I mean about once every other trip) on the wipers with my fly rod and a big flashy saltwater pattern in chartreuse w/mylar. Get it down in front of their face and give it strong 12" strips in. The takes alone are worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Roth, I'm just like you. I have seen wipers and caught lots of stripers, but not
in Colorado. I have read that is you see them on the surface, use topwater
lures like Zara Spooks, Puppy , or spinners. Below the surface, they use
lures that suspend, like Glass Shad Raps. Hope you hook one. I'm going
to try the lake in the Pinery. The have wiper up to 14lbs.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
LOL walleyes have not treated me poorly. I dont fish aurora. I wasnt trying to make a stab at u. U might of taken it that way since the dude wrote ouch. Sorry u took it the wrong way dude. I was just trying to say if u help someone one maybe somebody will do the same. I called u the king of aurora in one of your posts. U took it the wrong way.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Then I would like to apologize as well HookNLine. I have pretty much posted and replied as to how I was catching the walleye at Aurora if you look back at my posts.
1. Location- in the two back coves
2. Depth- mostly in the 10- 15 ft range
3. Lures- 1/8 oz jighead with various plastics mostly 4".
4. Presentation- Slow jigging motion and dead sticking as well.
5. Time- mostly morning no time in particular.
Hope this clears things up but like I said the walleyes have stopped biting this pattern, I think they may have gone deeper but I didn't try to find them last time out. I got caught up with the wiper. The smallies are hitting on the same as mentioned above though. I caught a nice fat 18" smallie on Thursday morning.

·
Registered
391 Posts
One method that I heard works,besides patience and perserverance,is LEACHES .I think you could PM Zman,he seems to be the only one that i've heard of consistantly catching those big boys out of Aurora.I hope to luck into one this year.

lyn

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
you might try don also, i think he could catch a toad from your bath tub

·
0 Posts
The only thing I ever catch them on is crawlers when I,m trying to catch walleyes.Guess I don't know how to fish for eyes.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
if they are close .... straight up shinners(no weight) but kinda far off egg sinker or bobber.
usually i catch them on crawdads, shad is the most preferable.

·
0 Posts
I live in New Mexico and we don't have any wipers here but I do fish stripers quite a bit. I would think it would work for wipers too. When they are shallow on the shore line I cast to the shore with a horsehead jig (w/spinner) with a half crawler and work it back fairly fast. I also use redfins and the larger size rebel crawdad. You don't need a very big jig - I usually use a 1/4 oz. It's really a blast when a big 'ol striper smacks it on light spinning tackle. When they are deeper I jig with a slab spoon or troll with rip sticks or umbrella rigs. You might want to check your local laws to see if umbrella rigs are legal there. They look like a school of baitfish swimming thru the water and the stripers go nuts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts