Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the most fun I have ever had not catching fish.

Got over there at 8:00 AM and stayed till 1:00. There was no wind so the water was dead calm all morning. I have never seen it clearer in fact. There were fish everywhere! Trout, Smallmouths and Wipers. When I first got there it was just trout and bass swimming through. Every once in a while there would be a huge explosion off shore when a big Wiper would snack some poor ***** stocker ;D About 10;00 some big schools of Spottail Shiners started coming thru. Shortly there after the Wipers arrived!!!!! Probably a Hundred of them at least? Between 3-5 lbs. For three hours they swam around me chasing Shiners, (Fricken awesome sight)!!!

I tried 4" and 5" swimbaits, Rattle Traps. Husky Jerks, X-raps, grubs, ringworms and finally a 4" Fin S Fish fluke which they followed but would not strike :mad:

Like Mustang said in his post! It was like going to Ocean Journey without shelling out 20 bucks. I think if there would of been some wind to hide me, I might of had a chance?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am no expert at wipers, as I still have not lost virginity for that kind of fish. But it would seem to me that because they are so big, they need to be stalked just like the big rainbows in the clear water. By stalking, I mean down to the ground tight! Also, I wonder if dead shiners might work (since I just bought a package!).

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
It's no wonder you didn't catch any. I heard they were just fed 186 stocked trout. I guess they even attached tags to their dorsal fins so they'd be easy to spot.   ;D

M

·
0 Posts
hahah, well the few taggefd trout i saw swim by were bigger than the normal sized stocker, nice fish actually, too big dot eh wipers i think

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Shiners were staying in a foot or less of water, just trying to stay out of harms way. Every once in a while they would #### up and swim over a small channel or funnel area and several wipers would charge in and bust up the school and then the rest of the wipers would pick off the strays! This went on for a couple of hours. There were a couple of big Wipers out in deeper water chasing trout that looked huge :eek: I also saw a couple of tropy class smallies swim by also.

I don't think I have ever seen the water as clear as it is right now?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Gee Neal, if you feel like it, maybe send me a detail or two to my e-mail. I've never observed anything that intense.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have never witnessed anything like this before! I have seen them bust shad down at Pueblo, but nothing like this! These were all nice fish! They were pushing thru in waves and pinning the Shiners against the dam wall in a foot of water. I could actually see the shiners being eaten individually. And because the whole area is concrete the water never even got stirred up! It was fascinating watching the shiners regroup them try to avoid the next wave :eek:

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Never seen wipers do this but have witnesses the same thing from salt water species. The only difference being a plain hook will get you hooked up when jacks or snook ball up the bait shallow. Can you cast net shiners legally in Colorado and if so i would have to imagine this would get them going. Another thing if you can cast net for shiners can you live chum with them, get a net full and smack them to half way kill them and start throwing them out.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a cast net that I use in the summer in North Carolina. We net Shad and Alewifes at night around our lighted dock. I could of netted a days worth of bait on one throw today, i don't however know if it is legal at Aurora Res.?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Netting, seining and trapping bait fish is illegal in most of the Denver Metro area counties including Arapahoe. I asked why one day and was told it was because of the potential numbers of people in the metro could drastically deplete the forage base and damage the fisheries of all the waters.

But even with out netting bait fish at Chatfield why do the walleyes seem to stunt at 17.999999 inches? :-\

dan

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is it legal to snag baitfish with a treble hook? The snagged fish will almost certainly be nailed due to its wounded swimming action.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Parker Tom said:
Never seen wipers do this but have witnesses the same thing from salt water species. The only difference being a plain hook will get you hooked up when jacks or snook ball up the bait shallow. Can you cast net shiners legally in Colorado and if so i would have to imagine this would get them going. Another thing if you can cast net for shiners can you live chum with them, get a net full and smack them to half way kill them and start throwing them out.
I just thought I'd add its illegal to chum in Colorado, however if you have a couple people with you and a couple rod stamps you can simulate chumming by all casting into the general area but you have to be good, as line tangles will happen.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Grumpa,

I believe that the Colorado regs state that only certain species of fish can lawfully be "snagged". I think Kokanee Salmon is one.

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
A few things that have worked out there for me...this is my favorite three week period at Aurora...

Stay low...sit boo boo sit!...ok bad humor...sit on the bottom step next to the water...low profile...non spooked fish eat...spooked ones swim faster...

Stay away from bright colored clothing...

Go with a partner...take up space 50 or 75 feet apart...each party is reponsible for looking to the outside...if you are on the left and your buddy is on the right...you watch to your left...he watches to his right...often they appear out of no where and are on you...most of the time I dont even make an attempt when that happens...for fear of spooking them...and you can see them speed up...what you can do is warn him that they are coming...and he can precast and get his lure or bait in their flight plan...no splash to spook them...

I like a south wind with a little chop...the biggest one I ever hooked out there was in the 15 pound range...I got him to the net three times before the hook pulled out...it was a delicate operation using 4 pound test...the wind was blowing 20 miles an hour straight out of the south...they were stacked up along the dam...I love that south wind out there...

The most important thing...use light line...the water is like gin out there...often when they are racing up and down the dam it is calm...the rangers used to tell that we could catch old shoe walleyes on 4 pound line but the wipers would make us scream for our mommies...until my friend Dennis got almost a 14 pounder...we have caught many over 10 pounds out there...all with 4 pound line...it makes the lures or bait more life like...harder to see...less of a splash...it is better to have loved and lost than never loved at all...I think it is the biggest mistake made by fisherman...line that is too heavy...after all...all we want is a chance...a shot...hooking one....and thenwhat you do with it is up to you...make sure your drag is set and there are no nicks in your line...the first one we hooked we didnt turn...he got all the line...sometimes if you just turn your pole at a sudden odd angle it turns them...if not oh well...it is an incredible rush to get spooled...hope that helps...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was dead calm! I think if I would have had some wind I might of had a chance? On the flip side I got to watch the most amazing show I have ever seen!

I like to use a 4" Fin S Fish with a 3/32 oz Gopher long shank mushroom head. Kind of my version of a soft Husky Jerk. It glides, flashs and falls very naturally and looks like the real thing. I had several big Wipers follow them, but then they would see me and split :mad: I use Fireline with a 10lb Floro leader.

I know what you mean about sometimes turning a big fish. I have been spooled a about half dozen times at Spinney and Antero. Sometimes if you pull the line across their backs you can turn one, but that also puts more pressure on the line!

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
I havent lost a lot of stripers but HAVE lost many huge lakers.I use 6lb test exclusively.My buds will be using 10 -15 lb line and I will usually get 3 times the bites and hookups that they do!I agree that the diameter makes a huge diff.Yeah,its tragic but cool when they spool ya.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts