Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
worked out by aurora res. thursday and it looked like most of the lake had a lid on it. does anyone know what the current ice conditions are out there? and if you can still come in from the south side?thanks

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Aurora is the down here version of Granby at a 100 feet deep it takes awhile longer to grow a lid than say Chatty or Creek...there is foot access from the south to the back coves...get out mapquest or google earth and do some aerials...the on foot entrance I believe opens an half hour later and closes a half hour earlier...even when I went over the dam on Friday morning at Creek only half of it appeared to have ice...it was just getting light and hard to see so that determination was made by what was snow colored and what was dark water colored...I cant imagine Jurassic Pond (Aurora) is more froze that Cherry Creek...just based on depth and wind alone...

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Yeah those south coves do ice up sooner than the rest of the lake...in late fall early winter the north winds seem to push colder water into those coves...I have seen a 5 degree colder difference between the south coves and the main lake in late fall early winter in my boat...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was out there yesterday afternoon getting a new pass, and nothing was iced as far as I could see. There was a good wind going, so whatever ice it had has been blown off :(

·
Registered
200 Posts
I remember going ice fishing at cherry creek a few years ago, and then going to aurora with my ice stuff only to drive all the way home to get our other gear because aurora was still completely ice-less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts