Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been to Aurora lately and if so how thick was the ice and what area was safe if any.

D

·
0 Posts
Fished it yesterday with TALO362 and a couple other folks.  The entire lake is now frozen. The thickness in the areas we fished ranged from as little as 3" or so up to about 6".  We weren't too far from the marina cove.  Found a few trout and 1 short walleye in water between 15 & 25'. Lots of people, huts, etc.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don did you guys have any luck. Have never fished that lake and I live in parker so I should start I guess.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My partner Pikester01 and I fished aurora yesterday , quite a few guys on the lake . You need to watch for unsafe ice Farther out on the lake there are some weak spots . Look for discolored ice . There are a few areas out quite a ways only 2-3 inches thick . All in all we were able to catch some nice trout , only 1 perch. The perch were biting on live minnows which we didnt have, still had fun . We caught our trout on waxies a mealies ,caught trout in a few diffrent areas . Moved around alot .

·
Registered
109 Posts
The wife and I just got back from Aurora. SHE caught a 16'' Rainbow and a 12'' Perch- I got skunked again. Yesterday SHE caught a 12'' Rainbow and got broke off on a big Bow. 150-200 yards straight out from the boat ramp, 30 FOW, green ratso with a piece of nightcrawler. The ice is only 3-4 inches, kinda spooky!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Me and ColoFisherman were at Aurora Res Sunday too. Never iced fiished there. The trick, it appears is minnows. We started just off boat ramp -swim beach along with the crowds. CFM caught a perch and we witnessed numerous NICE trout caught-released. I had to bum some trout to take home. Bit of Uncle Bucks fish fry and YUM..any hows, moved out to mid south part of lake, according to map, tried to locate gravel pits. I think we found them as we ended up next to couple of guys with NICE mess of perch. Again we were too little, too late plus we didn't have any minnows. Fished there for hour or two, numerous holes punched. Made our way back to swim beach boat ramp area and got into trout again.
Ice was 6-8 inches in boat ramp area and 3-5 inches farther out. Ice wont last long if it warms up. Could feel / hear the moan-crackle-pop of the ice throughout the day. A little spooky at times..pictured goin' thru!
Met nice chap DAN, gave us some heads up on wipers and the like. He popped a 2lb rainbow that me and family ate 2night. seems like a healthy fertile lake! Will definetly be back again. Great pix and video too...Pikester01

D

·
0 Posts
Trout said:
Don did you guys have any luck.
We each caught 3 or 4 rainbows. Most were 12-13" but TALO caught one that was probably 2.5 lbs or so, maybe a little bigger.  I broke one off at the hole in that same size range. I couldn't catch any fish on minnows.  All mine came on small jigs with waxworms.  Two others caught theirs on jigging spoons, so it was a mixed bag.

That was the first time I fished Aurora.  I'm going to hit it more this Spring.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
After Don and I headed out (1 ish) Vicky caught a bigger fish (19 inch) and Quickrelease released one at the hole, with the spoon in its mouth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts