Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went up to Bass Pro Shops today with my wife and some friends. Quite a bit of ice fishing gear. Got an Automatic Fisherman, but can't have it till Christmas. Seen it used on the In-Fisherman Ice Fishing Guide TV show quite a bit. Seen a picture of Clint Walker with one and some guys using them at Tarryall last week. So anyone use these? Do they work pretty good? Was $5 cheaper at Bass Pro than the Automatic Fisherman website. Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I bought one a couple years ago but found it difficult to use in the South Park wind. Got that special bobber you have to use with it too, and I keep misplacing it. :-\ I've seen some homemade ones that are pretty cool though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What do you guys need simpler directions?? I have one for the kids to use since they don't have the longest attention span. The auto fisherman does set the hook right away and you do get to fight the fish with a rod. I didn't bother with the bobber and did toy with it to get it real sensitive. But we have caught a number of fish with it since day one.

Way better than having a rod unattended when the kids step away for a snack.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
anglinarcher said:
What do you guys need simpler directions?? I have one for the kids to use since they don't have the longest attention span. The auto fisherman does set the hook right away and you do get to fight the fish with a rod. I didn't bother with the bobber and did toy with it to get it real sensitive. But we have caught a number of fish with it since day one.

MAYBE as a TOY for KIDS- They are useful-

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
anglinarcher said:

MAYBE as a TOY for KIDS- They are useful-
that is about all they are useful for...

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Moral of the story is 'adjust your drag' and make sure you have it firmly planted in the snow. Have lost a few fish shortly after hookset - hubby always seems to set the thing up with the drag in the 'never gonna let you go' area - you see the thing set, then the rod bends over, a few reluctant clicks, and then the rod snaps back after the fish has snapped the line. Dopey!

Hubby is the reason they even got them at BPS. He'd called fifteen or so Ganders in 3 states (all were completely out of them in early '06) before the last guy said 'hey, I've got the guys' home phone number - why don't you give him a call?'

An hour and a half later, and my husband sounded like he'd been home for three weeks. (He's from Wisc. and upper Michigan) He had worked at BPS when we were opening the store, and had to convince the buyers that we needed things like Jigging Rapalas ('why would you ice fish with a crankbait?') and what was so cool about ice fishing (had 12 guys from corporate sitting around him like little kids at a campfire hearing about what ice fishing was like - remember, BPS is based out of the Ozarks - where freezing lakes never really freeze!). And he had the number and name of the ice fishing buyer on his desk.

If set up and rigged properly, they do work. Much better than Lightning Strikes, which are big, metal, spring loaded, and will really give you a black eye - were made for saltwater fishing on a Buddy rod holder - not to mention, you have to leave the rod on the setter when you're trying to land the fish. The Automatic Fisherman just lets you pick the rod right up and land the fish like it was your active rod - no attachments.

If you have rods with lined tips, it will break the lining out of the tips. Just get a regular, un-lined tip to replace the rod tip with. Or even use a less-expensive glass rod without the fancy tip, and you're good to go.

Perfect deadstick setup. Try working a spoon nearby to 'decoy' the fish in. Have heard it works wonders with a dead sucker for pike. ;)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guess I'll just have to wait and try it after the first of the year. Nancy ans anglinarcher was the only one with a positive commet about it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have used one for a number of years and like mine. Cought a lot of fish with mine. Great dead stick tool, you don't have to watch it all the time. Set the drag so it will set the hook,but the fish can still pull drag.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I fished once or twice with a real great ice fisherman known as Rad and watched him catch quite a few lakers with one.. Never personally used one however. Give it a shot, might be something you like. If not, live and learn I guess..

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I guess I am the kid i love mine ;D. I've caught plenty of fish on it. Even rigged a wireless doorbell on it so when i am in the hut and i hear "dingdon" , fish on!!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I was looking at those too...

Now I'm at a toss up.. If I had an ice question, I think the first two memebers I'd ask would be Jamie Hughes or Rad.. :-\

They used them (automatic fishermen) on "Lip Em and Rip Em" w/ a lot of success... After seeing them on the show my daughter and I quicckley looked them up on line, and they were really expensive (I think $60?) That was a year or two ago.. $35 at BPS, I thought was a good deal..

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have been using mine for 2 years. I love it. I jig with one pole and dead stick the AF I don't use the bobber. Make sure you have a medium or heavy pole to set the hook. I also bent the rod tip catch to make it more sensative. I drilled a hole on the back and stake it to the ice and have added a bolt and small bungee to hold the rod in place

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey some positive feedback. ;D If winter every shows back up I'll try Clint's and Chief's suggestions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts