Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want an autopilot for my 15hp kicker. I troll a lot and I'm tired of steering. I have a humminbird 899hd fish finder now. I'm not opposed to a new system and not to worried about cost. I would just really love to hear others experiences with different ones. I have looked at the garmin TR1. And the lowrance new pilot. The tr1 looks like it might work with my humminbird? I would love to have the ability to plot waypoints on my gps and have the autopilot take me along the path. Any thoughts would help!

·
Registered
16,635 Posts
You want to replace a 15 hp gas kicker with electric? If you troll all day I dont think electric is the way to go-

·
Registered
988 Posts
I looked into a TR1 a while back the price was steep. I resorted to running 2 sets of batteries for my Ipilot and it works well for anything 2mph and under. Will last all day in the wind no problems with decent batteries. If you're interested I can send you my wiring schematic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure electric will work well for me. I would love a good working autopilot that works like the ipilot.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
You want to replace a 15 hp gas kicker with electric? If you troll all day I dont think electric is the way to go-
He just wants to have an Autopilot type feature for his kicker.

I dont know anyone who has that type of a setup and i really try not to troll. LOL

Sorry I'm not much help..... There was a thread about it on the forum a while back and I dont remember anyone saying they used it either.....

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I troll using the 10hp gas kicker on the back of the boat, and electric motor with ipilot up front to steer the boat. Works like a charm. :)

·
Registered
16,635 Posts
Learn sumthin new ever day! List is $2500 for the TR1 then a plate for $200 and a remote is another $400.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rvinson exactly, sorry if that wasn't clear. Looking for a good autopilot option for the kicker.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting albow, That might be an option. Still would like to have just a good working autopilot.
Slayerfish. Not that I want to spend that amount if it works well I am ready to do it!
Zman I will check it out!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I troll using the 10hp gas kicker on the back of the boat, and electric motor with ipilot up front to steer the boat. Works like a charm. :)
This works great -its what I do (Terrova 101). If its a big boat where you can't put the I-pilot on the boat the TR1 is a good option. One of my friends in Michigan has one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This works great -its what I do (Terrova 101). If its a big boat where you can't put the I-pilot on the boat the TR1 is a good option. One of my friends in Michigan has one.

Does anyone know if the TR1 will work with the humminbird and allow me to put waypoints down for it to follow?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I have the TR1 Garmin autopilot on my new boat, I'm picking it up in April and will be figuring it out. Mine runs the twin 300s mains and I believe it is integrated with the Furuno's Gps. I know some use the tr1 for their kickers and trolling. My 300's idle down so nice I'm gonna just troll with one that will push me 2mph but not sure if my autopilot will work that slow.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I have the TR1 autopilot on my new boat, I'm picking it up in April and will be figuring it out. Mine runs my twin 300s and I believe it is integrated with the Furuno's Gps. I know guys that use them for their kickers and trolling.
Let us know how it goes Redleader. I might want to add one to my Michigan boat, but it should be pretty easy with a Garmin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let us know how it goes Redleader. I might want to add one to my Michigan boat, but it should be pretty easy with a Garmin.
With the Garmin it looks like a great system from the research I have done. I don't want to replace the humminbird if I don't have too.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Great thing about the terrova, you can fish (jig/troll) really slow and even anchor on a spot when you are not trolling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great thing about the terrova, you can fish (jig/troll) really slow and even anchor on a spot when you are not trolling.
I would love to have the electric with all the benefits but I have a cabin and think the motor would be to high off the water from the bow.

·
Registered
988 Posts
There are guys that use the TR1 in rivers and saltwater against tide current for virtual anchor. Where are you going fish where that cabin boat? Sounds like a Blue Mesa or Powell boat

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are guys that use the TR1 in rivers and saltwater against tide current for virtual anchor. Where are you going fish where that cabin boat? Sounds like a Blue Mesa or Powell boat
it sits at Chatfield. we go to powell once a year and blue once a year but spend most the time at Granby.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts