Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i am putting together a new box for the fall and winter season. Full of the full life cycles of BWO's and midges. A few anchor flies, mostly caddis larva. Annelids and eggs. Most will be from a consolidation of two boxes and some fresh ties to replace old favorites and some new patterns. So I am wondering what other people are tying and fishing this fall and winter. Feel free to post some pics!

First pic top to bottom: BWO soft hackle stuck in shuck, otter egg, BWO soft hackle cripple, Higa SOS.

Second pic is some new midges. I am calling them Fukushima Midges since the body is made from glow in the dark Mylar.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well i am putting together a new box for the fall and winter season. Full of the full life cycles of BWO's and midges. A few anchor flies, mostly caddis larva. Annelids and eggs. Most will be from a consolidation of two boxes and some fresh ties to replace old favorites and some new patterns. So I am wondering what other people are tying and fishing this fall and winter. Feel free to post some pics!

First pic top to bottom: BWO soft hackle stuck in shuck, otter egg, BWO soft hackle cripple, Higa SOS.

Second pic is some new midges. I am calling them Fukushima Midges since the body is made from glow in the dark Mylar.
I tied up some of those Higa SOS Baetis earlier in the season but haven't had much luck on them. However I haven't tried them too much. Have you had a lot of success with that fly?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes i have had good luck with the Higa. Fished it last winter on the Ark tailwater and above the res early spring. I think it is passable as either a midge or beatis. It has also caught fish for me on high country still waters.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice ties! I will be posting some of what I am working on once I clean the dust off my vice and get a new set of jaws- the edges have been mashed, and now won't hold anything smaller than a sz 16 without pinging out of my vice...I've contemplated using safety glasses!

I am going to be learning a couple of foam patterns/dahlberg divers for bass and than re stocking my trout boxes..copper johns, grhe's, pt's and than tie up some juju varieties and stoneflies.

Stay tuned...glad to see you getting this section going again, Bugz!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea, nice job. I tied a few zebras and black beauties just a few nights ago along with some basic olive mayfly nymphs. Was gonna tie up a few buggers and leeches tomorrow before trick or treat time. Then i'm fishin all day Sunday with them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been tying some SOS's on a dai riki #125 ranging from an 18 down to a 22, and they were killer yesterday on the Big T. I tried tungsten vs glass bead too, and did much better on the tungsten. Size 20 fished behind a 2 bit hooker and an egg got fish, and they only ate the SOS.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Those Higa SOS's I did were an 18 or 20 with a fairly large silver tungsten bead. I don't think the tungsten is helping my case since I wanna use it as a dropper off a dry, and its just so damn heavy. But that's my fault.

Can't speak for bugz...

For me its time to restock the midge box so I'll be addressing that over the coming weeks... Hard to stomach that in the fall you go from nice big goofy flies like leeches, streamers, san juans, eggs, and then December hits and everything you're fishing with is sub #20.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He is a sweet heart too. Did not even kick me when I pulled hair out of his tail today!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Finally knocked the dust off the vice last night....as you can see I started simple!

Going to be fishing around Basalt this weekend, my goal is to whip up a bunch of baetis/midge imitations as well as a smaller streamer or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Finally knocked the dust off the vice last night....as you can see I started simple!

Going to be fishing around Basalt this weekend, my goal is to whip up a bunch of baetis/midge imitations as well as a smaller streamer or two.
How'd it go?

·
Registered
305 Posts
How'd it go?
It was awesome! I have never fished that area so, like always, I wish I could have spent another day or two to really dial it in.

My buddy caught a couple in the 18"+ range, I caught a few browns in the 16" range. Crowds weren't an issue at all and I was surprised to see a fair amount of BWO's coming off with fish charging the surface after them even with the sunny conditions.

Wish I would have moved a bit more but there is wayyy too much water to cover in that area in 1 month, let alone 1 day.

Mine were taken on rs2/juju emergers patterns, threw on a steamer for about 20 minutes and turned some heads and missed a couple takes...in hindsight I wish I would have stuck with it longer because it is so much easier to cover water effectively and move on to the next likely holding area.

It definitely got me excited to be back on the vice!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts