Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eleven Mile Ice Fishing Guided Tour! 02-16-14

Pathetic is an understatement for our experience. Larry sent us out with one guide for four people and the guide was maybe 19 years old. Then he walked us out (made us drag two carts that weighed at least 100 pounds each) from the marina (North Shore) almost to the island close to the South Shore. (At least ¾ of a mile walk if not more)

We waited and tried to help the (1) guide set up the shelters, drill the holes, etc.,etc. (45 minutes later). About an hour since we left he marina, we began to fish. At that point the guide noticed that one of the heaters had no propane and basically said “sorry” were out of propane”. He didn’t offer to go get any more instead he went into his hut and began fishing. He gave us a 5 minute lesson on how to jig and read the sonar this was our first time ice fishing.

The guys in the hut without the heater had to ask for the guide to go get more propane so the guide walked back to the Marina and got another bottle 20 more minutes later, the guide started to break down the shelters because he said it was time to go. I said we’ve only been fishing for two hours, he said we paid for four hours $350.00, for 4 people and the time starts when we leave the marina and ends when we get back and that’s four hours.

So in a nutshell, we paid for 2 hours of fishing and paid them for us to haul the load back and forth. My husband who is 62 years old had to stop and rest about 4 times, my nephew who is 35 years old had to also stop several times.

Then, of course we CAUGHT NOTHING! The guide never changed our bait, drilled more holes, he simply put the rods in the water, set up his shelter and he began to fish.

My recommendation: DO NOT hire Larry or his crew for any guided tours.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
WOW, What a crappy experience!! IMO, A guide should NOT fish while with clients!!(Without said clients permission anyway)

Sounds about Par for the course from what I have heard about Larry and his operation(s)

You should have started a thread prior to going and you would have been warned!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sad story about substandard customer service.
I would file a formal complaint with the state agencies responsible for over sight and issuance of guide licenses and with the agency responsible for oversight of his concession at the state park.
Not sure what agencies those are....might be CPW.
When you find out what agencies are responsible, post contact info for them on all of the fishing forums and ask others to contact them with their experiences with Larry. I'll bet for every positive comment about him, there will be 10 negative comments.
I doubt if anything will get Larry to change his ways, but it might get the state to consider re-issuing his license to guide and his lease on the concession at the state park.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
sorry ass guide... sorry ass owner.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would have laughed at him if he expected me to drag the dang sled back after such a wonderful experience.:eek:

Better luck next time.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would have laughed at him if he expected me to drag the dang sled back after such a wonderful experience.:eek:

Better luck next time.
No chit! I would have grabbed my stuff, walked back to my vehicle, and not looked back. Should have put your hard earned money into your own ice gear and skipped the guide. I have hired guides before but ice fishing would be the last one I would use....

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Eleven Mile Ice Fishing Guided Tour! 02-16-14

Pathetic is an understatement for our experience. Larry sent us out with one guide for four people and the guide was maybe 19 years old. Then he walked us out (made us drag two carts that weighed at least 100 pounds each) from the marina (North Shore) almost to the island close to the South Shore. (At least ¾ of a mile walk if not more)

We waited and tried to help the (1) guide set up the shelters, drill the holes, etc.,etc. (45 minutes later). About an hour since we left he marina, we began to fish. At that point the guide noticed that one of the heaters had no propane and basically said “sorry” were out of propane”. He didn’t offer to go get any more instead he went into his hut and began fishing. He gave us a 5 minute lesson on how to jig and read the sonar this was our first time ice fishing.

The guys in the hut without the heater had to ask for the guide to go get more propane so the guide walked back to the Marina and got another bottle 20 more minutes later, the guide started to break down the shelters because he said it was time to go. I said we’ve only been fishing for two hours, he said we paid for four hours $350.00, for 4 people and the time starts when we leave the marina and ends when we get back and that’s four hours.

So in a nutshell, we paid for 2 hours of fishing and paid them for us to haul the load back and forth. My husband who is 62 years old had to stop and rest about 4 times, my nephew who is 35 years old had to also stop several times.

Then, of course we CAUGHT NOTHING! The guide never changed our bait, drilled more holes, he simply put the rods in the water, set up his shelter and he began to fish.

My recommendation: DO NOT hire Larry or his crew for any guided tours.
Dude spent years hustling people like yourself. you should have done a search on here before you wasted your money. you also should have just saved your loot and gone to granby, and hit up bernie keefe.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
How does that guy stay in business???

My friend rented a gas auger from him once, one pull and the rope broke, dude cussed my friend out up one side and down the other, blamed him for the rope breaking and refused a refund or another auger.

Piece of work for sure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That dude is a piece of work! If I need tackle around there I go to the Chaparral. Too bad you had a bad experience there, but hopefully your post saves a few others from making a bad decision on a guide.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Yep , worst guide ever , ur paying for them to fish and ignore u , dont support his business , his guideing liscene should be taken on account of poor customer service

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Larry Is A ......

This is my opinion why Larry is still in business. I think the state gets a percentage of the revenue.

I think he is also on one of the county boards. Might be the school board, I don't remember but I saw it in The Flume.

To me it's a tale of it's not what you know, it's who you blow.

I too have had an issue with Larry in his store a long time ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On this and Fish Explorer, I have over 3000 views so hopefully I have made a difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man, this guy is seriously bad. I never imagined I would get this kind of support and never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined he's done so many people wrong. Maybe this is the time we should all get together and file a complaint.

What's so sad about this is that "Fishing" is such a wonderful sport and people feel so good about being out in nature and are there to enjoy their time and this guy has made their experience bad for several different reasons. Someone like that should NEVER be allowed to offer services.

Life is too short to have to deal with a person like this, ESPECIALLY, in a "Recreational" Environment. Are you kidding me? Why is this guy still there? Who the heck does he know?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts