Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Bluegill are in all the ponds. I did well in Lakewood on a green dry fly...

There are a few ponds you can find on a forum search, but most catfishing guys like to keep their bait-spots a secret.

Crappie.... You probably won't get a straight answer on that one. I can tell you they live in Cherry Creek.

The "search" function is your friend.

·
Registered
315 Posts
There are some good gills and perch in Colorado. We spend a considerable amount of time targeting them. With this said there are multiple lakes in the state where an angler can catch limits of 10"+ gills. The perch fishing is considerably easier. No reason lakes like chatfield can't produce some nice perch for you (not the ponds). Perch are everywhere and most metro lakes have some real nice ones. Chatfield being the best, Aurora and Bear Creek can be good. Cant wait for some hard water so I can start eating panfish again.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are some good gills and perch in Colorado. We spend a considerable amount of time targeting them. With this said there are multiple lakes in the state where an angler can catch limits of 10"+ gills. The perch fishing is considerably easier. No reason lakes like chatfield can't produce some nice perch for you (not the ponds). Perch are everywhere and most metro lakes have some real nice ones. Chatfield being the best, Aurora and Bear Creek can be good. Cant wait for some hard water so I can start eating panfish again.
What do You like to use to catch those perch & gills,if I may ask, Carl?

Any other ponds you like around the West side o' town? I'm moving back to Golden this week.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Believe it or not my favorite bait is shrimp for perch. Minnows and waxworms can work well at times. Perch hold in very deep water (depending on the lake) at chatfield begin in 40+ fow during ice season. Look for areas devoid of notable structure such as a basin or channel area and use your electronics. Tungsten jigs and 2-3 pound flouro really help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Believe it or not my favorite bait is shrimp for perch. Minnows and waxworms can work well at times. Perch hold in very deep water (depending on the lake) at chatfield begin in 40+ fow during ice season. Look for areas devoid of notable structure such as a basin or channel area and use your electronics. Tungsten jigs and 2-3 pound flouro really help.
BINGO! This further confirms my faith in using Saltwater baits in freshwater! Wipers like shrimp pieces too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts