Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got there right a 5 and it was a 5 species day with some nice spots and a couple of nice smallies. Most all of my spots were swallowing the tube deep and I had to perform surgery on quite a few. For an old guy I'm still quick on the trigger but not quick enough today-I'm thinking they take the bait deep on the initial bite and theres not much you can do.

So its getting hot and I decide to call it a day and up in the parking lot somebody has hit the back of my trailer and demolished one of my taillights. No note of course (remember when people used to leave a note) so I'm off to Sportmans tomorrow to replace it.

Idiots were on parade at the boat ramp as I was leaving-launching the boat and leaving it right at the waters edge, backing down the ramp and then moving your stuff from the truck to the boat. All the usual stuff that just makes you wonder.

Summer is officially here-Pueblo is getting crazy even during the week.

Theres a big fire on Ft Carson-smoke along the front range from pueblo all the way to north of CS.

·
Registered
705 Posts
a(remember when people used to leave a note)

I left a note once on a truck that my wife hit, with my trailer, when she parked my rig at Steamboat Lake. Busted the tail light on this guys trailer. I offered to pay, left my name and phone number on the note I left on his truck. At the end of the day, as luck would have it, I saw the guy on the boat ramp ( I recognized his boat) and told him what happened. He sounded grateful that I told him, but when we got together in the parking lot the guy starting going off on me big time. F you and F this and what was my problem etc, etc, etc...I couldn't believe it!! I told him to go F himself and good luck now getting 30 or 40 bucks out of me to replace his light.. Never heard from him again..

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
a(remember when people used to leave a note)

I left a note once on a truck that my wife hit, with my trailer, when she parked my rig at Steamboat Lake. Busted the tail light on this guys trailer. I offered to pay, left my name and phone number on the note I left on his truck. At the end of the day, as luck would have it, I saw the guy on the boat ramp ( I recognized his boat) and told him what happened. He sounded grateful that I told him, but when we got together in the parking lot the guy starting going off on me big time. F you and F this and what was my problem etc, etc, etc...I couldn't believe it!! I told him to go F himself and good luck now getting 30 or 40 bucks out of me to replace his light.. Never heard from him again..
Should have punched him in the face and broke his other taillight. What a winner.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
We were at Pueblo yesterday as well. Leaving the North Ramp, and just before getting onto McCullouh Blvd, there was a truck pulled over and sure looked like they forgot to put the inboard motor up and looked like it was broken off and laying in the ditch. Didn't look good at all.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I often defend the Parks and Wildlife, but some things that seem so simple, are difficult for them.

They know how busy weekend afternoons are. Why don't they station a Ranger at the launch ramps to help keep things moving smoothly? We had idiots at North Sterling this weekend - and that probably sees 1/5 the traffic of Pueblo.

Sorry about your trailer. That sucks.

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
I often defend the Parks and Wildlife, but some things that seem so simple, are difficult for them.

They know how busy weekend afternoons are. Why don't they station a Ranger at the launch ramps to help keep things moving slowly? We had idiots at North Sterling this weekend - and that probably sees 1/5 the traffic of Pueblo.

Sorry about your trailer. That sucks.
Yep couldnt agree more...zero ranger presence on the boat ramps, advising, teaching, playing traffic cop...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've often thought the same thing-even talked to the inspection guy about it. A ranger at the ramp would help alot-keep things moving.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My II Cents

Ramp ranger will never happen even though it would be nice. Budget is first issue.

Two years ago at 11 Mile three boats pulled up and started prepping on the ramp blocking access. The inspectors can see the ramp from the inspection station as we all know. I asked the inspector if he could get a supervisor on his radio to come and educate these people. I told him if I say anything it always goes south.

I was told they have more important things to do.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Ramp ranger will never happen even though it would be nice. Budget is first issue.

Two years ago at 11 Mile three boats pulled up and started prepping on the ramp blocking access. The inspectors can see the ramp from the inspection station as we all know. I asked the inspector if he could get a supervisor on his radio to come and educate these people. I told him if I say anything it always goes south.

I was told they have more important things to do.
Steve, I think that is going to be a case by case basis. I have seen Rangers oversee the ramps at Horsetooth. And I made the same comment at the inspector at North Sterling this weekend and he did call the Ranger.

One thing is certain. If we only complain here, and never say anything to the Park Managers, things will never change.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Steve, I think that is going to be a case by case basis. I have seen Rangers oversee the ramps at Horsetooth. And I made the same comment at the inspector at North Sterling this weekend and he did call the Ranger.

One thing is certain. If we only complain here, and never say anything to the Park Managers, things will never change.
Horsetooth is a bit of a different animal, it is managed by the County, and these other lakes mentioned are administered by CPW.

I floated the Green river this past weekend, ramp manners are lost on the "professional" fly guides as well.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I don't know about recently but a few years ago I frequented Cherry Creek 2-3 weekends a month and they had the ramp by the marina flowing pretty well. They always seemed to have a ranger nearby and I've heard them yell at people to get moving when they were trying to load/unload items from car to boat or vice versa.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Horsetooth is a bit of a different animal, it is managed by the County, and these other lakes mentioned are administered by CPW.

I floated the Green river this past weekend, ramp manners are lost on the "professional" fly guides as well.
Different managing body at Horsetooth, but they have the same challenges that the State Parks have. I'm not sure what the differences are in their budgets (although that would be interesting to see), but I don't think that you would really need to increase staffing to improve the situation, it is just a matter of re-deploying them.

The parks have a database of when the busiest launch times are - they record the data from the ANS inspections - and they know from campground reservations as well. Figure out when the busiest times for the launch ramp are and instead of having the Rangers do their normal patrols (or spend time in the office), have then at the ramps.

If that means more ranger hours on weekends, then cut back staff hours during the week when the lakes are less crowded.

To me, it is simple. But that is probably why it will never happen.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Different managing body at Horsetooth, but they have the same challenges that the State Parks have. I'm not sure what the differences are in their budgets (although that would be interesting to see)...
Make a request under the Colorado Open Records Act or search online.

It took some effort to dig up but click here for the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Financial Report for FY 14-15 and the 2016 eight year forecast

...but I don't think that you would really need to increase staffing to improve the situation, it is just a matter of re-deploying them.

The parks have a database of when the busiest launch times are - they record the data from the ANS inspections - and they know from campground reservations as well. Figure out when the busiest times for the launch ramp are and instead of having the Rangers do their normal patrols (or spend time in the office), have then at the ramps.

If that means more ranger hours on weekends, then cut back staff hours during the week when the lakes are less crowded.

To me, it is simple. But that is probably why it will never happen.
BM,

It sure sounds simple but unfortunately government agencies seem to be slow to change. This technology would be implemented much quicker if the parks were managed by the private sector.

My first hand experience from having family working for the government is if you don't rock the boat and simply put in your time you will have a lasting career. The tallest blade of grass gets cuts first!

Have fun combing through CPW financials!

If we put together a lobby and really were a continued pain in the rear to the CPW we could probably grind away and get change. It has to be a well organized (and probably funded) effort and we need a lawyer who is an angler and could commit to the cause.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts