Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent about 2 hours fishing Badger Basin north of Hartsel this weekend on my way out to run the Breckenridge Crest. The flow was pretty good and I saw a few 18" fish but didn't catch any of the big guys. Instead I caught fish after fish on a simple size 16 black ant pattern. I walked and cast downstream and gave it short drifts. About every 3rd cast I caught a 6-8" brown. It was a hoot! Probably caught the better part of two dozen before we moved on to the Blue in Silverthorne.

We fished below the I-70 bridges (naturally). I went up stream to try my luck away from 'Asbestos Alley' and my son headed downstream to the 'Big Gulp' hole behind the 7-11. I was working dries, he was working nymphs. It was quite overcast and fairly calm around 4 in the afternoon. Some mayflies were coming off so I tied on a size 18 BWO and managed two bows (14" and 16").

I later caught up with my son and he took 4 on red copper johns (size 16) and a zebra midge (size 20). He reports 16" being the largest. No 5-10 pounders on this trip to the Blue.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i had heard of badger basin but was affraid the drought may have ruined it good to hear otherwise

F

·
0 Posts
I caught a few fish yesterday on the blue ...both browns but they were farther down stream......Its about time for me to get my fly rod out again ....

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The closer you get to Green Mountain the more browns you'll run into. The bigger bows are packed in near the dam in Dillon/Silverthorne.

F

·
0 Posts
yea im still working on my fly fishing skills and it seems that the blue is pretty much for experts .....but have managed a few .....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't fished badger basin this year, but last year I caught about a dozen in 30 minutes or so, and they were all in 13 inch range but were football shaped! Wow was that fun.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
whats the vegitation like along the stream is it rough to get to or easy to fish?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Badger Basin just north of Hartsel (not the west access) is easy, easy, easy. The state access puts you right on top of the stream and it's just South Park meadow all along the banks.

That should be a pretty easy run up Highway 9 for you, Roadkill!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ive been tempted to do just that but after running up 9 to hit cottonwood creek last year and seeing how low the flow was i havent been to motivated but i might give it a whorl with my old neighbor buddy

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
just looked it up at dow site http://wildlife.state.co.us/swa/view.asp and this is a different place than i was thinking of i thought i was thinking about badger creek before it dumps into the ark ill have to look around more ive heard some great fishing stories from the oldtimers from badger creek

1 - 10 of 10 Posts