Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm about to show just what a rookie I really am...but here goes.

Is a true that a baetis is just a BWO?

And a Callibaetis is a speckled dun?

When people are talking about tying up some flies, why do they say "I'm tying a baetis emerger" instead of saying "I'm tying up a BWO emerger?"

Just wonderin.

Thanks,
Eli

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes and yes. I use beatis in more of a general sense because there are so many different species of BWO's. I also tend to refer to the nymphs as beatis and the adults as BWO's because nymphs don't have wings yet and it just doesn't make as much sense to call something with no wings yet a "blue-winged" olive. But there's no right or wrong way to say it, if you wanna say BWO then go for it, it doesn't matter much.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yep, beware of the latin! Everybody goes through it, mostly in the learning stage. Then, even though we've read all the books and know all the latin names, most finally reach the stage of "blue-wings," "drakes," "big stones," "black caddis," "PMD's," "dark midges," "yellow sallies," etc., etc. They're just bugs anyway, and most of the fish eating them don't know the exact species either, and don't care. They key on a stage/size of insect or insects, and eat 'em if they look natural. Sometimes when they don't look so natural too.

"Tricos" always seem to be "tricos." Somehow, and thankfully, "hoppers," "beetles," and "ants," are always, "hoppers, beetles and ants!" So are nightcrawlers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts