Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Colorado in 2005. Tried ice fishing at Monument Lake (in Monument) in December and I love it!

My question is: Is it always completely different every time you go out? Monument Lake is a small lake with only stocker rainbows in it, but it seems like different baits/jigs, different locations on the lake and different depths of presentation are effective each time I go out. My experiences have ranged from 6 good size fish in 1 1/2 hours to one pan sized in 4 hours.

Inevitably, if I'm stuck in one of those outings with little or no fish, I talk to another fisherman on the lake whose reeling 'em in faster than he can spin his reel handle and he's using a bait I don't have and presenting it at a depth I'm not fishing at.

Are there rules of thumb - like, if the water temp is X, then the fish will be at Y feet, or they hit meal worms in the morning, but plastic skirt crappie jigs in the afternoon???

I guess the very fact that it's so unpredictable is what makes ice fishing so great. Maybe you just have to try different things everytime out until you find what's working that day...

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
You are right on the money when it comes to fishing in Colorado. One things that makes a difference is many of the waters get tons of pressure so the fish are pretty educated. Frequent tactic changes is pretty normal.

If you get the answers to your questions, I would love to have them also. Lord knows I have my share of problems catching fish. (Being cursed does not help either)

Dan

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
FH - how thick is the ice on Monument Lake? I've seen 1-2 guys everyday out there the last couple weeks, just haven't had time to try it. I'm hoping sometime this week?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
You have to also add stocker trout into the equation, stocker trout will pretty much hit anything especially if fishing pressure is light on that body of water. Some lakes it will matter on pressentation and some it wont. Some lakes it will matter how deep your fishing and structure you are fishing. You can usually generalize and then switch from there.
I usually start with a golw in the dark rat finkie with a meal worm when fishing for trout, a white tube with sucker meat for lakers, and teardrop with mealie for panfish. If nothing is biting I switch lures and try to bring them in, something flashy a kastmaster for trout, a Krocadile for lakers, and swedish pimple for panfish. If nothing still I move locations and start over, unlesss people around me are icing fish then I find out what they are using. :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff,

On Saturday, the ice was a good 8 inches thick. As the day went on, we could hear it shifting, but were never worried. I'm sure it's thinned quite a bit this week with the warm weather.

FH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts