Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use a baitcasting reel for ice fishing? Thoughts? Feedback?

Gander recently ran a promotion for the Quantum Energy Baitcast reel for $99 (usually $189). I really like the spincast they have but couldn't pass up this deal, as I've been wanting to try the baitcast for some time.

The deal might still be going on if anyone is interested.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
I like Abu Garcia reels. I was using an Abu Garcia Record yesterday at Elevenmile spooled with 50lb superline and a 15lb fluorocarbon leader when I caught the fish in my report

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=39143.0

I use the same reel set up the same way in open water (different rod). It's my goto setup for jigging through the ice when I'm fishing for pike and lake trout and walleye.

I have a second Abu Garcia Record that I also use and I have an Abu 6500 with line counter I've used as well. They work for me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have 1950's pflueger supreme casting reel that I use for my emergency back up reel. It works fine and has never malfunctioned due to cold or ice forming on it. It'a an antique that my dad passed on to me and reminds of him when ever I use it. We first ice fished lake Loveland in 1962 using an ax to chop holes and minnows for bait. It was easy to catch 20 or 30 9-11" perch apiece. The best part was Dad always did the fish cleaning and cooked the fish as soon as possible. Good memories are priceless.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I say it's hard to beat the drag on a nice bait casting reel - The only issue I've had is the grease gets a little thick on those cold mornings.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
teagan9999 said:
I say it's hard to beat the drag on a nice bait casting reel - The only issue I've had is the grease gets a little thick on those cold mornings.
For the winter, take out the grease and use a good gun or reel oil. Spooled with a good 12 or 15 lb mono or fluorocarbon line and paired with a Bernie ice rod, it's a great ouitfit for jigging lake trout through the ice.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I was using my Pflueger President baitcaster at 11 mile last wednesday and it froze up on me. It works fine now that it it thawed, I guess I'll try to degrease it and use some oil. I hope it works because I bought the casting style Bernie rod and it was a sweet setup! I like being able to drop line using my thumb on the spool to control it rather than peeling drag or opening the bail and having the wind blow it all over the place.

·
Registered
413 Posts
when my reels were freezing I sent them back to the manufacturer and told them what was going on with the reels they replaced them and cleaned them sent them back no charge! they work great!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds like more people then I imagined use baitcast reels! The reels I use have a lubrication system called "Hot Sauce". It doesn't seem to have the freeze up issues.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a buck's reel - like Luv2fish's crappie reel. It doesn't have a real freespool or a real drag but I like it well enough to use it.

My ideal icefishing reel would be a baitcaster, about 5 oz, with freespool and a drag. Backlash braking wouldn't be necessary. I wonder why no-one makes such a thing for a reasonable price. Seems like many years back, Quantum make a novelty mini-baitcaster like this but haven't seen anything like it for a while.

s

1 - 14 of 14 Posts