Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be fishing lakers this weekend. Im going to be fishing tubes and stuff that you cast but I also i was wondering if there is a bait that I can cast out with my second rod and just let set. thanks

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Gut hook

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Harvest of smaller fish is encouraged and thats probably all I would get into from shore at this point,right? So what if I planned on keeping one or two?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
What if you get a little more than planned?
Circle hooks are anything but guaranteed. Especially when a rod is just sitting

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yeah, a big laker can take a bait and the circle hook down to the gullet before she ever swims away..not allowing the circle hook to work as advertised. Although more difficult to catch during the spawn, I'm not too sure why you're under the assumption that big lakers can't be caught from shore this time of year.

Keep all of the little lakers you can catch within legal limits.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Smaller lakers are eager to eat artificials. (spoons/tubes/jerks) Casting keeps your fingers from freezing too. Bonus.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, a big laker can take a bait and the circle hook down to the gullet before she ever swims away..not allowing the circle hook to work as advertised. Although more difficult to catch during the spawn, I'm not too sure why you're under the assumption that big lakers can't be caught from shore this time of year.

Keep all of the little lakers you can catch within legal limits.
It's not that I think it's impossible. But it seems highly unlikely right now at least based on everything I've seen and read and what not.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Even though less likely to be interested in feeding, this time of year shore fishermen have greater access to lake trout..including big lakers....same as at ice off. Water temps have cooled and lakers..including large females have moved in close to shore to spawn.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Thought you were a fly fisherman and wanting to get into tube jigs? Don't need to get greedy, I'm sure you'll get your fish, no sense taking a chance on killing a big fish. Keep it real.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Circle hook under a big ass float might be good... If there's little-to-no wind. I have limited experience with Lakers, but that would reduce your chances of gut-hooking any fish.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
As far as bait goes use a small piece of sucker meat on your jig watch for the slightest bump and hit it hard

1 - 20 of 76 Posts