Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys store your live bait in (worms, minnows, leeches) while out on the lake and the weather gets pretty warm? Is a cooler with ice pack inside ok?

Now, about lures (spinner baits, crank baits, rubber worms). Is there any "right time" to switch from live bait to the lures. Is there any way to figure out just how deep a lure is going before starting to reel it in to lure a fish to take it? I mean, depending on the area a person is fishing in, the lure could get hung-up in weeds or whatever.

Are there certain fish that will go after a lure, while some others won't?

Are any kind of weights put on a line with a lure on it?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Cody

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
for keeping worms i have a small "sixpack" cooler that i fill about 2/3 full of worm bedding and then put a block of blue ice on top of the beding if i keep it out of the sun it will keep the worms good and cool for 2 days

when fishing with shinners im in the boat and have a large square cooler that i have a bubler in i fill it with water from the lake and run the bubler and dont have any problem all day if im going out the next day i just change the water before i leave the lake and then change it again the next morning when i get to the lake.

ive found for myself if the fish are wide open like busting bait on the surface or just after iceout or a hatch i can catch more a lot quicker with lures and flies no time wasted baiting up and sometimes when the fish are busting bait the lure gets hit better than bait

as for depth the count down method works good start counting after the lure hits if you want to fish shallow then start retriving after a 1 or 2 count then try different counts till you catch something then you can get back to the same depth by using the same count if you start hitting the bottom or picking up to many weeds then start your retrieve a count or 2 earlyer

ive been known to put a little wieght infront of some lures just to get extra depth when i fish spinners in the streams and rivers i like to be bouncing on the bottom during the retrieve so i might add a few split shot for the desired effect. also if you tie a little droper line in front of a floating crank (small rapalas) you can put some weight on it to keep the crank just off the bottom and if the the droper line is a lighter test and the weight gets hung up you can usually save the crank

1 - 2 of 2 Posts