Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bait, Lures, And Flies

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I choose option 5 anything and everything that the fish are biting on even if I have never tried it before...If it will catch fish I will use it. How about you?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Re: The results of this poll will be very interesting....

TroutHunter said:
I choose option 5 anything and everything that the fish are biting on even if I have never tried it before...If it will catch fish I will use it. How about you?

Im with you bro! Thats why I have 5 poles in the boat, each for diffrent things. I also have a bag and LARGE tackle box filled with all kinds of things. When I say I use live bait im talking about Worms,Minnows,Leeches and stink bait. I dont really fish for trout so I never use powerbait!!!!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have 5 poles rigged and ready to go as well:

1 for lure
1 for Flies (spinning rod)
1 for icefishing
1 for bait (large)
1 for bait (ultralight)

Also have
1 multiple use if I bring a newphew or a guest fishing
1 flyrod / spin combo break down rod for my second rod when I back pack...

F

·
0 Posts

I change with the time of year ....early in the spring i love using my fly rod ....during the head of summer bait is nice nightfishing ....and im always bass fishin.....thats one of the cool things about colorado drive an hour either way from denver and you can catch just about anything

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

I chose number five, but I do most of my fishing with bait or lures. In high country lakes for small brookies flies and be effective, as well as catching the big gills at jerry creek.
My poles: 2 river trout poles. Light action 5.5 ft in length. I am looking to get a medium light action IM7 graphite that is 5.5 or 6 ft in length however. (If anyone can help me with that it will be awesome) 2 lake poles: 7ft. bass pro shops IM8 graphite one piece that I use strictly for slinging hardware and the flies at jerry. (long rod helps with casting distance and accuracy). 6.5 ft. bill dance quantum rod IM6 graphite one piece that I use for plastics, or if I am fishing bait in a lake which isn't too often except for brookies or the occaisional bow.
1 catfish pole: Heavy action I guess. about 6.5 to 7 ft. in length, I'll check. Got it for battling huge cats in the colorado river. Sadly I haven't got any over 8 lbs, but my bro has landed a few in the 20 lb range.
4 icefishing rods: 3 are in the 34-40" range and are used specifically for hammering big bows, dinky picky lakers, and pike. 1 rod used for perch and panfish. It is shorter like 30".

Looking to add to the collection even more!!!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Bait, Flies and Lures for me. The only reason I can mark that choice is because I occasionally use a fly on a bubble. I occasionally fly fish but am probably the worse person at it in Colorado. But I keep working at it. There is definitely a lot of skill at flyfishing which I have not mastered yet.

Dan

·
Banned
487 Posts
I am a bait and lures guy because they are generally most effective. However when the situation calls for it, I will use flies on spinning tackle. Usually just dries though.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
TroutHunter said:
No Bait ONLY Fishermen? Come on we know your out there :)
I think if you limit yourself to 1 type of fishing you are missing out on alot of other possibilities. Sometimes bait is the best way to fish, or I wouldnt throw worms in a caddis hatch, and sometimes I'm on a flies and lures only water system. So I use everything!!!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yep when you limit your choices you limit your chance of success im all for the diehards that only use lures or the ones that only use flies but for me i like to catch fish and if they are hitting spinners better than bait than spinners it is

when in Rome do as the romans do.

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
I believe in giving the fish what they want. I spent years trying to force feed them lures,but now I use whatever maximizes the catching.I can throw size 20 beadheads or drag sucker meat along the bottom.I was fishing this alpine lake with my bro and he was flailing and I was spinfishing,he was wailing on me until I pulled out a 3" white twister tail w/piece of worm and I ended up catchin the most and biggest.He couldnt believe it. Whatevr it takes!

BTW,you didnt have SNAGGING as an option!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I don't snag and won't ever snag. It is not sporting IMO. Nothing against you guys who do snag though.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is just a side question.....By using the results of this member pole roughly 75% of fishermen use bait on occasision I wonder what the ratio for Flies and lures waters compare to unregulated waters (bait, lures, flies allow) is? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
so your looking for like the miles of rivers/streams and numbers of lakes that are fly/lure only VS the miles of rivers/stream and numbers of lakes without bait restrictions

this would be interesting im betting the unrestricted waters would far out number the restricted waters

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
unrestricted waters greatly outnumber those that are restricted which is good. A water doesn't have to be restricted to flies and lures only to be good though, the best two rivers (IMO) in colorado allow bait in most places and in the places I fish. I only hope however, that the number of restricted waters stay the same.

·
Registered
664 Posts
i vote flies and lures...bait fishing has never had any appeal to me, except when I was a kid. nothing against people who baitfish...I just like fooling the fish with a man-made creation.

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
If you can tell me how to catch channel cats consistently on lures or flies then I'm all ears!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love catching fish on flies. With a pinched barb and a fly rod there isn't a more chalenging fight anywhere and as long as you don't where the poor guy out too much the survival rate is nearly ninety nine percent.
However, I'm not too picky with how I fish. I'll use whatever I need to...well...except dynamite...probably ;)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fishaholic,

Have you ever had a fish gullet (throat) hooked, gill hooked, or one that is bleeding very badly when using barbless hooks?

TH

1 - 20 of 21 Posts