Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks!, I'm looking for something besides WORMS that these Colorado fishees will actually HIT on, that's non perishable, as I can carry it around in my car, in my tackle box, with my poles, and just pull up to a lake before or after work without any planning for a day out, F***ing with live bait or worms that die?

All I EVER had luck with is Night Crawlers, and Red Worms. (once I got a tiny LMB on a gold spoon)

Do any of those Sprays work? BaitMate Panfish & Crappie formula seems to draw bait fish to it's oil slick....

Power bait falls right off the hook, so do Zekes or whosevermacallit Salmon Eggs.

Help?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
What he said, there really isn't a universal bait other than worms. I would suggest you start using lures

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Buy some curly tail grubs(white/black/milktruese) and some 1/4 oz.(ish) jig heads.

Crawl 'em, hop 'em, swim 'em. Breathe deep. Enjoy the day.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
it sounds like your methods need work, if you aren't catching fish on worms or crawlers. any fish in colo will hit worms if the presentation is done right.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Good question, I'm thinking of trying those little Jig lure strings to jig for Bluegill and other panfish. Saw lots of surf perch being caught off ocean piers with those...

Just looking for stuff that works I can carry around with me, and fish to catch with it
For panfish, I recommend picking up some trout magnets. They are very light, and it's best to fish them on a light/ultra light combo with 4# line.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I have heard some of the GULP products work well....... May want to look into those.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
wax worms. they are crack-cocaine for trout in most ponds where they are stocked.

same with halved fresh shiners.

just take a small lunch box with ice with you, bro. fresh bait is the best bait.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
For trout power bait can be tough to beat. Rainbow sparkle turbo was my go to for trout bait. I usually don't fish bait unless I have to tho

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not much knowledge of power bait, but seems if it is falling off, maybe it is drying out and you could sprinkle a bit of water in on top when you cap it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
try krill it works

Hi Folks!, I'm looking for something besides WORMS that these Colorado fishees will actually HIT on, that's non perishable, as I can carry it around in my car, in my tackle box, with my poles, and just pull up to a lake before or after work without any planning for a day out, F***ing with live bait or worms that die?

All I EVER had luck with is Night Crawlers, and Red Worms. (once I got a tiny LMB on a gold spoon)

Do any of those Sprays work? BaitMate Panfish & Crappie formula seems to draw bait fish to it's oil slick....

Power bait falls right off the hook, so do Zekes or whosevermacallit Salmon Eggs.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
If you're looking to make powerbait stick, use a small treble hook. I would actually suggest bringing a small fold-up shovel along with you and dig around the pond/lake where the ground is wet. What they naturally eat is right in there, be it crawlers, red worms, grubs, whatever. The food is right there, just dig it up.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
They make special treble hooks with a coiled wire on the shaft -- those hold powerbait on there real well. :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I've been using powerbait for at least twenty years and never had issues with it falling off the hook. You're doing something wrong or using the wrong gear or old bait. Get some sz 16 and sz 14 golden trebles from Walmart or wherever you get your stuff. Those two sizes will work for pretty much any size trout you could run into. Get fresh bait, roll it up into a nice smooth ball(size depends on where you're at) and push it on the hook. Smooth it over and make sure the hook is completely buried. Dip it in the water and let it soak for a sec and you're good to go. If anything, it's a ***** getting it off the hook if you do it right.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been using powerbait for at least twenty years and never had issues with it falling off the hook. You're doing something wrong or using the wrong gear or old bait. Get some sz 16 and sz 14 golden trebles from Walmart or wherever you get your stuff. Those two sizes will work for pretty much any size trout you could run into. Get fresh bait, roll it up into a nice smooth ball(size depends on where you're at) and push it on the hook. Smooth it over and make sure the hook is completely buried. Dip it in the water and let it soak for a sec and you're good to go. If anything, it's a ***** getting it off the hook if you do it right.
Do you fish on the top or bottom, Whompus? I'm in the habit of bait fishing on the bottom. I have to slap myself to remember to attach a bobber and go on top now and then

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Do you fish on the top or bottom, Whompus? I'm in the habit of bait fishing on the bottom. I have to slap myself to remember to attach a bobber and go on top now and then
Always on bottom. I'll have my hook, about 14in of line, a split shot and then a 1/4oz sliding egg sinker.
That way the trout don't feel the big egg sinker when tug on the line.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Always on bottom. I'll have my hook, about 14in of line, a split shot and then a 1/4oz sliding egg sinker.
That way the trout don't feel the big egg sinker when tug on the line.
My typical set up is a Sinker, a foot or so of line, a #4 snelled hook w pre tied leader,(with bait of choice) then another foot or so up the line, another hook. They rarely bite on the upper hook but that's the way we always surf fished. I think they refer to it here as a Bass rig?

I heard it works for Wipers too.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts