Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you guys buy bait from (mostly minnows)? Kind of a long trip to Chatfield via Valley Country or Gander Mtn.

·
Registered
902 Posts
discount tackel on santa fe just south of evens. closest i know to chaty, unless all-pro is still open near arapaho comunity college.

please post questions in "colorado fishing" section, it is the general post section. We try to save the reports section for just reports-

good luck, welcome to the site ;)

·
Registered
902 Posts
GMCO45 said:
FYI, All Pro closed over a year ago.
yea, i suspected so. i'v been out of denver for 7 years, just came back last fall but i now live north of town-

as bar as big shiners i don't know. They have minows and they stink up the whole shop. their lead-dunker selection is geting smaller and smaller. i know a place down in littleton to get BIG minnows if you are willing to put in the time and catch them one at a time. pm me if you want the location-

·
Registered
769 Posts
bobwall said:
GMCO45 said:
FYI, All Pro closed over a year ago.
yea, i suspected so. i'v been out of denver for 7 years, just came back last fall but i now live north of town-

as bar as big shiners i don't know. They have minows and they stink up the whole shop. their lead-dunker selection is geting smaller and smaller. i know a place down in littleton to get BIG minnows if you are willing to put in the time and catch them one at a time. pm me if you want the location-
Would like to take up the offer of a location for big minnows but I need some help in understanding the regs regarding the taking of bait fish. Page 6 of the 2006 book says that "taking baitfish is prohibited statewide in natural streams, springs and waters in Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Clear Creek, Denver, Gilpin, Elbert, Jefferson and Park counties ......................................................................................."
Does that mean that all waters in those counties are off limits for bait fish? Would like to find a source
near home but it looks to me like that is not possible.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
They way its written, (they really should have someone from the English Dept at Cu or CSU review things for them) it does not include reservoirs, stock ponds etc. If the impoundment is not natural then it is fair game, but then they through in the word waters..............since all water is natural that pretty much eliminates everything. But then again what is the legal definition of "waters".

Too bad I don't have more money than sense, if I did I could try to test that reg and see what happens. :D

Dan

·
Registered
769 Posts
Dan, That is the way I see it too. Chatfield is certainly not a natural body of water.
Would seem to me that it would be legal to throw a cast net for shad or shiners.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Ill tell you an ez way to get some shad.

Go to Cheery Crrek In mind summer. Start trolling at a fast pace. Have the person in the front of the boat hold a spot light a few inches from the water. The person in the back of the boat hold a net just under the surface. The light will draw them up and the net will scoop them up. A buddy & I did this with some old screen door and a coat hanger. Worked great. :)

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Jay

Is this the shad water version of a snow snipe hunt?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts