Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
baitcast advantages

I have been using spinning reels all my life. I have different models with different line test and actions but you always see the pros using bait casters and if there are any real advantages to using them I don't want to miss out especially if helps put more fish in the boat.

L

·
0 Posts
Re: baitcast advantages

a fast and more powerful retrieve, with a more accurate casting ability.

I think the accuaracy is the most advantageous feature of baitcast reels.

·
Registered
514 Posts

i just made the switch and i can say that i wont go back. there is still a place for my spinning reels, especially with ultra light tackle. if your just casting out to the water it wont matter much stick with a spinning reel but if you are fishing the shore line it will amaze you on how precise you can be with a baitcaster. there is a reason why all the pro's use them. they always have a spinning rod on board though. tighten everything up on your baitcaster and practice in your back yard. dont be concerned with distance till you get better at casting. you will loose a little distance when you first start out. pflueger makes a good entry level reel that is not too pricey. get one that you can set the centrifical brake with a dial. it makes it real easy to make adjustments when you change lures. i set my reel everytime i change lures. it keeps the backlash down. once you fall in love with it then get your dream rod and reel and make your first one a backup rod and reel. my buddy has a pflueger ECHELON that he paid less then $100 for and i like it just as much if not better then my $200 quantium pt tour edition. you dont have to spend a fortune to get a good reel. dont get too frusterated. i practiced for a week in my back yard and thought i had it down. then i spent the first hour picking line out of the reel the first time i took it out on the boat. had to respool it two times that day. be sure to use the right line. baitcasters work best with thicker line. 12# mono is a good way to start. good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts

I love both! When I am fishing for bass, I will use the baitcaster for plastics, jigs and so forth. If I switch over to spinner baits, buzz baits, or crank baits then it is time for the spinning reel to come out. Practice alot, and you will learn to love it.

Later,
Codfish

·
Registered
5,192 Posts

I think it is easier to throw a baitcaster all day. Fits in your hand like a glove. Once you get good it is accurate, can cast farther, and is easy to use once you get it set up right.

Can also run heavy line without a real disdvantage other than the fish seeing it.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Number one reasong to use a baitcaster....... NO FRIKIN LINE TWIST!
thats why i originally made the switch. i was respooling my spinning reels every 6th trip or so. i do a lot of casting so it makes sense that i move to a "casting reel". so far no line twist. and i am getting pretty good at picking out backlash too :)

·
Registered
16,690 Posts

It all depends on what you throw and what at. I use 4-6 lb mono at most. I throw 1/16th oz jigs and I fish mostly in gin-clear water. Bait casters dont work very well for my finesse methods.

·
Registered
833 Posts

Cranks, Spinnerbaits, Flipping I prefer baitcaster for casting accuracy. Anymore I'm on the lightweight spinning reel with 4 lb test fishing tube jigs or minnow jerkbaits. It's amazing how light you can go and catch big fish if you have a good drag and good line.
I use a Shimano Stradic and Eagle Claw Lazer Ice line
and I can't recall a fish breaking me off. I'm usually fishing for trout, bass, walleye, or pike.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts

ok i keep hearing that it improves your accuracy
well how bad are you cast that you need to change reels to help you out

and i think if you cant cast with a spinning then a baitcaster isnt going to help you out that much is it

·
Registered
16,690 Posts

I can cast a lure with pin-point accuracy every time with a spinning reel.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts

oh we know you can slayer

but its the same with me even with my big poles i can put 5oz of lead where
ever i want but i keep hearing how much they need the baitcasting reels to help them out im just like wow dont let me be standing by any of them when they are out fishing

·
Registered
833 Posts

Fk,
hold your mouth open I bet I can hit it with that 5 oz. weight on a spinning reel. JK...
"We" don't need them for accuracy, it's just a preference.
I can get a crankbait caught up in the trees using any kind of reel. See you on the water.

·
Registered
514 Posts

5oz of lead where ever i want
and what does it matter much where you want it when it sits on the bottom waiting for the fish. a few inches or a few feet dont make much difference. it makes a big differerence when you are trying to put a lure in the middle of a tangle of branches or between two rocks. when i am out on the boat i usually have at least 7 rods all rigged for different situations. i can troll with my ultra light spinning rod and have done so many times and caught countless fish doing so. i didnt really have to go out and get two nice trolling rods with line counters but i sure do like having them. i can do everything with my spinning rod that i can do with my baitcaster and have done so for years. there is a proper tool for every job and fishing is no different. if your doing a lot of "casting" it may make sense to use a "casting" reel.  

im just like wow    dont let me be standing by any of them when they are out fishing
not quite sure why you would write something like that but to each his own. i will be sure to wave to you as i am cruising by in my boat and i'll give your lines plenty of room cause i am a nice guy. you dont have to worry much about standing next to me, as i reserve the space on my boat for beautiful women and open minded fishermen.

·
Registered
514 Posts

I can get a crankbait caught up in the trees using any kind of reel
i got a good chuckle out of that. had my lines in the trees last week bass fishing with my fancy new casting outfit quite a bit.

·
Registered
833 Posts

I've had many cranks and spinnerbaits in the trees on baitcasters. Even more frustrating when you only have a 1/2 hour left to fish and only 4 keepers.

M

·
0 Posts

A lot of folks have written about better accuracy - maybe you guys are holding your spinning reels wrong? I'm siding with Slayer on this one. I used to compete in accuracy - for 1/4 ounce and 3/8 ounce we used spinning reels. For 5/8 ounce we used bait casters. Don't get me wrong, I like my baitcasters but you can be just as accurate with a spinning reel.

Thread the foot of the reel between your second and third finger (two fingers above, two fingers below - ignore the thumb). Once you do this, a grown person should be able to touch the spool with their index finger. Accidentally let one rip (I don't mean the flatulance thing), just stick out your index finger and slow it down or stop it. Same as using your thumb on a baitcaster.

Here's a link to the ACA that says the same thing...some tips for you-
http://www.americancastingassoc.org/tournament_technique/tournament_technique_plug_acc.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts