Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have owned a baitcaster around a year now right now I have te Abu Garcia SMAX2-L, I've never really had to hard of a problem casting it but would still end up with some pretty gnarly rats nests atleast once a day and then I started to get better the rats nests would get less and less "bad". This season I recently switched to braided line and I put 15lb spider wire on it, the past 2 weeks it has worked great and I think I only had 1 or 2 minor rats nests in 6 outings. The last 2 times I went fishing I've had a bad problem with rats nests occurring right when I cast and my line snapping and my lure flying into the lake :mad: It happened 2 times the other day and 3 times today!! It sucks losing lures that way and 2 of the ones I lost were in my top favorite ones, I thought this would be the least of my worries using braid but I guess 15lb test isn't strong enough. Im not exactly sure why the rats nests have been occurring recently but they didn't at all the last 2 weeks, maybe I've just gotten over confident in my casting abilities, or is there something common that can happen with braid that will make rats nest reoccur so easily? Am I better off going up to 20 maybe 30 lb test? I have 50lb spider wider on me but I feel like that would be a little too heavy for your everyday bass fishing, any opinions would be greatly appreciated im sick of throwing my god dam lures into the lake>:D

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Step up and rock the 50... That sh** is the illest. I've got 50 lb Spider Ultra-Cast InvisiBraid on my big cat rod. I could literally pull a downed tree off the bottom. Aside from the strength, it's also nice and thick and doesn't tangle readily.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea but im not sure if the casting will be effected with such a heavy test on a baitcaster, then again its only like 12lb mono diameter I think

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know how to setup your breaks and friction control ?
I mean I have a pretty general idea but it wouldn't be surprising if there was something Im missing. I was told by the employee who helped me at cabelas that id be best off keeping the magnetic brake at or around the max, and then I know how to adjust the knob on that varies for every lure you put on. Im no pro with baitcasters by any means so any tips are very helpful

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'd say if back lash occurs in beginning part of the casts couple things;
1) If you're casting into the wind that can cause it for sure. If you're throwing into the wind try bumping up the break setting, and increase the spool tension (the other adjustment by the handle). Casting into the wind can still be tough if the wind is really ripping.

2) If you're throwing light weight baits that can cause those beginning of the cast back lashes. Using a rod that loads well with weight of lure is helpful, I realize sometimes situations will arise where you may need to use lures under the rating of a given rod.

3) The truly effective way to manage those issues (and most any back lash issue) is to use your thumb. Takes getting used to, keep practicing while slowly decreasing break settings.

The really thin diameter of that #15 braid may have contributed to back lashes. I ran #10 braid on one of mine for a while (I can't really remember if it was more inclined to back lash). I run #40 braid on most of mine these days which casts fine for distance.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
get rid of the braid... there are so few situations where it is beneficial. Practice a lot and learn to set your brakes. If you are casting light stuff (say 1/8oz and lighter) you should just use spinning gear (for now)... with heavier stuff than that, set the brakes to where you push the button on the reel and the lure slowly falls (not while casting, just holding the rod tip in the air). Practice will help most, and JWrurf's stuff is spot on.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
get rid of the braid... there are so few situations where it is beneficial. Practice a lot and learn to set your brakes. If you are casting light stuff (say 1/8oz and lighter) you should just use spinning gear (for now)... with heavier stuff than that, set the brakes to where you push the button on the reel and the lure slowly falls (not while casting, just holding the rod tip in the air). Practice will help most, and JWrurf's stuff is spot on.
/\/\X2/\/\

·
Registered
80 Posts
There is a possibility it could be the line. I solely fish with braid and use a uni knot to a flouro leader. There is quite a difference between the lines. I've been using suffix 832. The line is much more supple than some of the other braids on the market. It comes off of the spool much better than alot of the other super lines. Mabye try a different line.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In response to JW I've definitely been casting into the wind these last couple days I wonder if that as something to do with it??? As for cast light lures go ive already learned my lesson, every lure I've lost has been a larger lure (mepps #5, 4-5inch softbodied swimbaits, and 5 inch crank bait) Maybe these lures are too heavy for the thin line? Either way im getting the idea that im gonna be switching my line either way!

Pistoldog- My line is breaking its not the not where its connected to the lure, the big crankbaitt at snapped off yesterday floats and after about 30 minutes of casting a topwater at it I finally got it back, it was still connected to about 20 feet of line. But when the line originally snapped it was still fed through all the eyes on my fishing pole. Its definitely the line breaking though

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
/\/\X2/\/\
With my recent use with braid(which is really only like 2 weeks) I've liked it much better than mono. Why do you guys not like it so much? Im sure there are plenty of situations that occur with braid that im yet to run into, I know I gonna be switching my line this is the time for you to convince me to switch back to mono and not braid! I've loved the smoothness that comes with casting the braid...until it tangles up and snaps and I watch my lure land in the middle of the lake:-\

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you finally learn? :D
Ohyea that kid taught me so much!!:p I mean I knew the basics to baitcasting I've owned one about a year now, im just more trying to find out why this is recently happening and if its because my lines sucks!

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
With my recent use with braid(which is really only like 2 weeks) I've liked it much better than mono. Why do you guys not like it so much? Im sure there are plenty of situations that occur with braid that im yet to run into, I know I gonna be switching my line this is the time for you to convince me to switch back to mono and not braid! I've loved the smoothness that comes with casting the braid...until it tangles up and snaps and I watch my lure land in the middle of the lake:-\

Braid is great for some applications. :thumb:

The 15 lb. spiderwire braid is the equivilent diameter of 4 lb. mono. If you try to cast 4 lb. mono on a baitcaster, "you're gonna have a bad time".

Put that light braid on a spinning reel. Learn how to rock the baitcaster with some fairly heavy mono, then switch to HEAVIER braid later if you want.

*before y'all start in......I have a 50 size casting reel with light line on it, but I would have flailed if I tried to learn with that setup.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Ohyea that kid taught me so much!!:p I mean I knew the basics to baitcasting I've owned one about a year now, im just more trying to find out why this is recently happening and if its because my lines sucks!
The light line digs into itself on the spool and causes mass asspain. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts