Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you bait your favorite fishing holes through out the winter? I do.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
what do you mean by that?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does your "baiting" a hole differ from "chumming" it?  

The Colorado regulations define chumming as "Placing fish, parts of fish, or other material which fish might eat in water to attract fish so they may be taken.  This doesn't include fishing with baited hooks or live traps."

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Basically, chumming the holes to keep fish in the area.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Don In Denver said:
catmann29 said:
Basically, chumming the holes to keep fish in the area.
I don't think that's legal, catmann....
no need to think about it the regs are quite clear it is illegal

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no need to think about it the regs are quite clear it is illegal

Roadkill, I was trying to be tactful (for a change).   LOL

Don

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn't sure how this works in ice fishing.  I know it's illegal in open water but I have seen it done a lot on fishing programs on TV and on videos done by If-fisherman.  Thanks for letting me know its illegal!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i that i was tactful just blunt

and catman in many other states cumming is legal and i too have seen it on the shows we used to take roadkill that wasnt fresh enough for human consumption and pitch it in the pond not only did it attract the different cats but it help fertilize the pond at the same time i wish we could chum here but O'well

also cat i been going thru the regs on bait fish concerning useing bullheads and crappie for bait. in the 05 brochure at the top of page 8 part (b) states

"the only fish species that can be taken and/or used for consumption or personal use as bait (alive or dead) by seining,netting, trapping,or dipping are minnows (except in "c" below), bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers,yellow perch and rainbow smelt. statewide bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegill and yellow perch"

this can be read at http://wildlife.state.co.us/Brochures/pdf/fishing.pdf

i am thinking from a legalease point that the "seining, netting, trapping or dipping" refers to the word "taken" as they are methods of take and not to "used" as they are separated by "and/or"

also the list a few fish that have limits like blugill and perch i any species with a limit like bull heads and crappie or anyother could be used as bait then they would not need to specify a few also if crappie and bull heads are legitt then by the same reasoning trout would be legal as bait also. i remember you saying something about getting it in writing from the dow, unfortunately a written note from an officer does not trump the posted and printed law could you provide me with the name of the officer that gave it to you and the office they worked out of so i can research this more? if you dont feel comfertable posting the guys name send me a PM

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought if I had a note from Division of Wildlife that I was following the handbook leagally and showed it to questioning DOW officers that they would better understand what it is I am doing. First, I don't use crappie as bait. Second, while I do use bullheads and bluegill as bait it says in the handbook that I can as long as they are caught leagally (I catch them with a fishing pole) and as long as I follow the legal limits. Now, if I am misunderstanding the law saying that it is legal to use bullheads and bluegills please let me know what page this is on. I will gladly stop if it is illegal. Too many people do too many illegal things.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
same page

it does not list the bullhead

it does list bluegill

the note might stop most wardens from siting you as most wardens like most cops arnt to sure of the law themselves

as i posted in the quote there would be no diff between trout and bullhead

i would like to persue this with the officer that gave you the note ans they may need to change the print on the regs wouldnt be the first time they made a mistake

for example it used to be that if you were younger than sixteen you could fish for free (same as now) but before then you could only take a half limit (now they can take a full limit) and there was aline in the regs about if half a limit works out to a partial fish then round up to the next whole fish so if the limit was five then a 15 year old could catch 3 well that part about the half fish is still in the regs but there is no half limit every one makes mistakes if you could give me the name ill persue it and find out which it is

thanks

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll go up to the DOW tommorrow and talk to them. I want to know if I am doing something illegal. It makes me feel dirty. I just assumed with the bullheads that it was legal here, just like in Nebraska. Thanks for turning me on to this, Roadkill! And thanks for the help with the pics. My wife is helping me!

Peace

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
thanks for the compliment ken we try

catman looking forward to some pics of those cats

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Ken! I encourage people with more experience and understanding of such things to help me out when I need. I don't like doing things illegal. But since I don't always understand what I read I do sometimes need help. And the regulations make me fearful because the wording confuses me. Thanks Ken! And thanks Roadkill!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
And the regulations make me fearful because the wording confuses me.
No sh1t, at times i think they were written down by kens 12 monkeys

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
cat I think you really need to ask about this, since you are not fishing at the time you put the bait out it might not be considered chuming... then again it might. So ask, and let us know.

I use to drop alfalfa bails in deep pools on the river in North Carolina in the fall, and as they would decompose in the winter the flatheads would come in and feed on them. It always made for a good spot in late winter early spring. I wonder if they would consider this chumming here too?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
thats a good question
they lay it out for hunting when they refer to hunting over bait
for instance they say you can scater grain to atractt birds but the grain has to be removed for a certain amount of time before hunting there. that would be nice if it were similar for fishing

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
according to the 06 regs ken just put up at http://www.coloradofisherman.com/docs/2006Chapter1FishingFinalDraft.pdf

this would be considered chumming i think quote from reg

"chumming" means placing fish, parts of fish, or other material upon which fish might feed in the waters of this state for the purpose of attracting fish to a particular area in order that they may be taken, but such term shall not include fishing with baited hooks or live traps
notice it does not say "while fishing" or any other refference to timing but i wonder about "scents" as it is not something "upon which fish might FEED" could you set up an "IV drip" of your favorite scent attractant?

other that that it looks like my baited minnow/crawfish trap is the way to go

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is very interesting, Roadkill. I never thought of it that way before.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
now i just need to find a good scent attractant that sinks since most ive used are oil based and would just float at the top

1 - 20 of 23 Posts