Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We always worry about baits lures being too big...sometimes I think we do not go large enough...I have caught 6 inch Bass on 4 inch Rapalas...8 inch Brookies on 5 inch Rapalas...foot long Browns on huge 6 or 7 inch Rapalas...a 7 inch Walleye on a Size 6 Musky/Northern Vibrax Spinner...last night Joe and I were fishing an un-named pond for Big Bass with live Bluegills and jigging with a second pole...Joe got bit...the fish took the gill and ran...it wasnt much of a fight so we thought he had a little bass...he was using a Bluegill in the 2.5 inch range...much to our surprise it was a 13 inch Crappie...

We were half stunned and half laughing our butts off in disbelief that a member of the sunfish family turned on little bro and ate him!...cold fronts many times dictate smaller offerings but fish will often take a larger lure or bait...so some of you guys/gals chasing monsters might step up the size of your offerings...after all...fish often like to use the least amount of energy for the most amount of food...makes you wonder what size meals do those 10 pound Browns, 15 pound wipers, 20 pound Catfish, 25 pound Northerns, 30 pound Muskys regularily eat?...kind of food for thought...

Oh and Joe's life is over as he knows it...he turned 30 last night...bwahaahahahahahahahahahahaa...wish him a happy hangover...

If I named the pond he would kill me...again kind of food for thought...have others had similiar experiences?...these fish are feeling winter coming...need to get in the large item buffet line...

The crappie was released...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Very nice!

I had a 25" Walleye at Glendo pretty much swallow a 6" floating Rebel at night. I had to perform a half ass surgery just to get the lure back.

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard to find good crappies in this state...especially after the drought...just thought it was way bizzarre that he chomped a bluegill...new they are fish eaters...just never saw one chomp a gill...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
hey cool! I agree with your post, especially for trout. Trout will regularly smack larger offerings than most people use.
Good post :)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
HAPPY HANGOVER!!!!!!!!!!! and Birthday too... man 30 lol I still got a year :p

·
Registered
664 Posts
Bigger lures catch bigger fish and smaller fish and I think they're just plain easier to fish.

Congrats!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Beautiful fish! Wish I were feeling better and could have come to the phone when you called. Once I gain I missed out!

Dan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Awesome fish!!! What a pig!!!

I

·
0 Posts
Nice catch Zman. Did you happen to read the crash the hatch article by fishinguitars.

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did not read it and, will not, ever read it. Take care,
...Why the hostility?

Yeah I did read FG's article...

As Moderators we read most everything...good or bad...us evil censors!!...

M

·
0 Posts
thats the biggest colorado crappie ive ever seen, nice catch

and it was a good article born2fish, u should check it out, you can read it and not even admit it, haha

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
born2fish1 --- Would you read it in a box? Would you read it w/ a fox?
Would you read it in a house? Would you read it w/ a mouse?

Eric Allee is the man !

Where was this aforementioned "crash the hatch" article ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts