Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone make there own plastic worms, catfish bait , flies , spinners anything ....i make my own topwaters and flies its a great feeling catching fish on something you made ...looking for some new idea's

·
Registered
117 Posts
I do make my own trolling gear for kokanees I use the flashlight blades by mack lures along with a gold wedding ring Unfortunatly you can not by a gold wedding ring at any store so you do have to go online to mack lures in levenwoth washington and order the gold boddies along with the smilely blades usally gold and silver blade and then i usally go to a local bead store and by the diamond ring part i use 8lb Stren for my leader. It is my go to lure I has out fished the green or the red ones just about where ever i have used it. I will even use the wed. lure part of it and tie it on to my main line and cast and retreive it. I was up at Lake estes fishing from shore with just the lure tipped with a crawler and caught close to 20 fish useing it that way. Oh i almost for got the important part i use either a #6 or #8 Gomakatsu red octapuss hook. If you do decide to try one out let me know how it worked fo you. Good luck :)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i like to tie my own flys just got a new vice and hope to be back in bussiness soon. i need a bunch of hoppers and some small foam poppers

also i used to cast my own worms mostly grub boddies but havent done that in years

ive been known to whip up a few spinners mostly the "colorado" spinner which is just a couple swivels and a blade and split ring

ive been wanting to try carving some topwater baits but will wait till i find a good spot to fish them before taking the time

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I use to make my own stink baits and blood baits, mostly when I butchered my own chickens.. move to the city dont do that anymore.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
ePiC said:
I use to make my own stink baits and blood baits, mostly when I butchered my own chickens.. move to the city dont do that anymore. 
i used to attempt to make my own catfish stinkbaits, but in the end i was spending more money on the ingredients than it would have cost me to just go buy some commercial made types...so i gave it up. in colorado ive had more luck with just organic stuff (liver, cutbait, and shrimp) so i dont even fish stinkbaits anymore when i do catfish...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I have yet to figure out the catfish here in Colorado.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the only thing ive figured out on the local cats is they taste just as good as the ones i caught back in CA maybe better!

·
Registered
460 Posts
My dad used to make stink bait. We had a fifty gallon drum about 3/4 full of the foulest smelling stuff in the world. Anything that went rotten went into this thing. If it had maggots they went in too. When ever we cooked bacon it found its way into there. Freezer burnt meatwould be broken into piece and thrown in.  It was velvetta consistancy on top and soupy on bottom. The important thing though was not much money was spent and teh catfish loved it. I tried taking worms, powerbait, and mealworms throwing it into a blender and soaking some sucker meat in it. Didnt get to try it because i spent the next few days doing chores around the house because i used my moms blender.  :D

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
back in my saltwater days i made a batch of chum by running about 30 fish carcasses (tuna yellowtail and dorado) thru my garden shreder it was a hot day and buy the time i was done the thick soup of ground fish was bubling from the fermenting i guess but i froze it and it shure brought in the bait but it took me weeks to clean the shredder ended up having to disasemble the darn thing and pressure wash it with hot water and then dunk each piece in a tube of bleach water just to keep the nieghbor off my back

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
ePiC said:
Me too..ive tried and tried but never really figured them out...its a different game than back east. they were a bit more numerous and also predictable there it seemed. I used to fish alot out by the Delta compound at Ft Bragg...you should know where that is ePiC...Wyatt Lake? that was a blast...it was managed for catfish, and while it was a small lake it had some HUGE fish in it...some were upwards of 30 lbs, if not bigger. here im happy to catch anything over 10...and those are rare too it seems, at least at the end of my line. Here ive noticed its alot of hit and miss...and the one place i do catch them depends a lot on timing and water levels...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
10 pounds man id love to hook a cat that size im happy if i can get a couple 2 pounders for the fryer my best colorado cats was in the 4 pound range so far and i let him go maybe he will grow up for next time

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
roadkill said:
10 pounds man id love to hook a cat that size im happy if i can get a couple 2 pounders for the fryer my best colorado cats was in the 4 pound range so far and i let him go maybe he will grow up for next time
if you think i catch those 10 lbers all the time i have mislead you lol

most of the cats i catch here are more like...10 inches ;)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
id be happy with one especialy if i had my digi cam with me for proof

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Rottal said:
ePiC said:
Me too..ive tried and tried but never really figured them out...its a different game than back east. they were a bit more numerous and also predictable there it seemed.   I used to fish alot out by the Delta compound at Ft Bragg...you should know where that is ePiC...Wyatt Lake?  that was a blast...it was managed for catfish, and while it was a small lake it had some HUGE fish in it...some were upwards of 30 lbs, if not bigger.  here im happy to catch anything over 10...and those are rare too it seems, at least at the end of my line.  Here ive noticed its alot of hit and miss...and the one place i do catch them depends a lot on timing and water levels... 
Dont you mean range 19? hehe. Me and one of my buddies use to fish that lake almost every chance we got. Or we hit up the Cape Fear for the flatheads.
But being from Nebraska and having the platte in my backyard, the cats just seem so different here.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I used to fish the Cape Fear quite a bit...Buckhorn was a popular place, but also out near Sanford and the other side of Fayette-Nam. i also did quite a bit of cat fishing out at Camp Mackall...lots of options for cats around there, thats for sure.

the cape fear had to of held some huge cats...but for some reason i did better in the lakes around there. i like catfishing in rivers, i wish there was that option around here...unless there are cats in the south platte that i dont know about as of yet

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i honestly think the d.o.w. should try to get a population of channel cats in the platte why not . it looks perfect by my house there is a bunch of sunken trees and deep pools

1 - 16 of 16 Posts