Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what everyone thinks of the Banjo Minnow. I like using it right after and alittle before the spawning of Large Mouth Bass take place. Ive only used it for Large Mouth Bass and have not caught any other fish with it, I personally have never caught a monster but many with this Minnow. What other fishes are attracted to this lure. And Yes this is one of my favorite lures. But just wanted to know what others think of the Minnow.

·
Registered
680 Posts
i thought it was a scam or somthin. I'm real sceptical
so did u order them, or buy in store?
i use plastic worms and other stuff
seems like if i can find them they will hit.
i remember one time i scoped this cherry creek(i think) large mouth, good size too. tossed a worm on him, instantly ripped it first toss.

I havnt seen the commercial in a long time id be intrested in tryin them

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive been using them for years. No scam, just like any other lure some days it works some days it doesnt.. best time to use em i think is after the bass spawn or find a good drop off and let it sink.

·
Banned
487 Posts
They are pretty good lures, however they are not as good as other soft plastic jerkbaits like flukes, sluggos, or senkos. They don't cast as far, they don't sink fast enough, the action isn't quite as good, and the hooking system, while really weedless, doesn't hook fish very well.
I have caught all sorts of different fish on them. Largemouth, smallmouth, pike, walleye, crappie, bluegill, green sunfish, rainbow trout, brown trout, and brookies.
If I were you, I would fish flukes or senkos instead. Much better lures.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flukes or senkos i will have to try .. Ive heard many things about them working pretty good. Thanks for the prep talk. I will have to get some of thems in my tackle..

steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
By weighting them just right you can get a pretty decent rate of descent. I like to texas rig em. Used them for Largemouth and Pike with good success. Caught a 32lb King Salmon in Puget sound on a bet I could catch something with it. Needless to say I didn't pay for beer on the next trip out!

T

·
0 Posts
i hear they sell well in areas of the country where your dad is your brother and your mom is your aunt..................deep south.

personally they remind me of a sluggo or senko style plastic. i suppose any thing can work if fished enough.

i would not buy them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the old banjo kit from about 6 or 7 years ago and still have some of the 5" minnows left. I have actually had really good success with them and I dunno what everyone says about the hook system or the casting or the sinking really they aren't meant to sink. So far this season I've caught a 15", 3 10", and 1 8" largemouth, 1 13", and 3 8" smallmouth, and 2 15" walleye. I don't use any weight on them I just have them and the hook on there, and I just twitch it along the surface or just a foot or so below and have had all of those fish. I think they work pretty well since thats the most fish I've ever caught in my life lol.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well like I said everyone has their own favorite lures but I dont mind going outside of my tackle and tring something new. I dont mind having the Minnow its helpped me out with bass. I just havent tried it for any other fish. Texas rig style fishing isnt too bad . I do much of that at SAWHILL. Plastic worms are one of my other favorites. At first I didnt think of it as much until one day I needed to go weedless and rushed it on top of the weedbeds. Boy..! want top water action when its weedy .. Try the plastic worm. But there are just some cases where everyone has fished that plastic too much or even fish are alittle weary .. I float my Minnow also and then let it drop and then tug and then drop.. or sometimes i'll just wiskit through weed pockets.. I dont know . And when it comes to throwing far. Bass tend to stay in swallow water when it gets warm. But hitting them far off logs and trees.. I guess im gonna pull out the shorts..!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ya I ain't wasted 40 bux
Bought some gulp worms similar to senkos (damned if i can find a "senko")
Besides if u buy a chad rap i think thats about as close to a minnow u can get
seems like if u can find them they'll tear it up
couple weeks ago i was hammin 'em off the rocks by dam parking lot.
mostly small ones but surely a big one will take it too.
i noticed i was reelin a bit fast(no hits) slowed down a little
thats when the fire started
i think its how u fish sometimes, not what u fish
either u have a bait a fish will take or not, for the most part.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts