Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remember to when I'm tying, I mash the barb on all my hooks. However, some of them sneak by with the barb, and I can't say that I notice any difference either way.

This past weekend I was using a barbed hook and I had several flies come unbuttoned.

I feel like if I get a good hookset, and don't let the fish take control during the play, it's all good.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
From what I know fly fishing is a little bit different and constant pressure on the fish is needed to land it. In that case barbed or barbless doesnt matter because you usually dont have to deal with the fish going into thick weeds or wrapping around submerged timber like bass. When they get hung up you have to give them a little slack to work themselves out then continue the pressure. Thats when a barbed hook comes in mighty handy. But a barbless hook is alot easier and less damaging for releasing fish, I'm sure you already know that.

Barb vs Barbless............huh, not really sure, I think I'm going to have to go with Barbed.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
in my experiance it's more about the hook set. if i'm driffting on a straight down current i try to set straight down stream. almost always get em right in the good spot. where as if I set more to the side i catch more of the side part of the jaw! if you catch em in the side i find a barb helps.

Jim

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
I don't crush the barb unless it's specified on a particular stretch of water, or I can't get the bead over the barb when I'm tying.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Geek hit that one on the head...

Typically I pinch the barb when in the boat or have less experienced casters around me, boat or wade.

If you are fishing in water where it is required or if you so chose (because it is definitely easier on the fish during de-hooking) make sure to not allow your fish or yourself to create slack, always a constant pressure. Keep in mind though that fish run from pressure yet are mostly territorial and chose to stay in the same area so if a fish is taking you into the fast water and looks like it might not be a chase situation or the fish is headed for freedom under a huge rock or snag...you can give them slack and they will commonly return to the area of hooking and allow for the finish of the landing...but slack can often kill you.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Definitely use barbless hooks when i'm using bait. Fish find it easier to suck bait down deeper than they would say a crankbait. my lures, with the exception of some of my trout spinners, still have barbs on them.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
FishLip said:
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Barbless on flies. Much easier release much of the time.
Lake trout are masters at throwing barbless jigs, even on tight line.
Nothing barbless about my jigheads. And they will still fall out if you give them any slack.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
It is ironic I suppose, when fishing for small fish or trout fishing I prefer barbless, just for the fact it is easy to remove and gentler on the fish, but when it comes to big fish (the ones i prefer to fish for the most) I want as big of barbs and hooks as I can get away with, hoping to get as solid of a hookset as possible.
barb vs. barbless
needlenose vs. hemostats
I'd rather need the 10" needle nose >:D

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
slowdown said:
Dont really think it makes a diff in catching, only in the releasing and causing less harm to the fish.
I would agree for fly fishing, the most part barbless is just fine. Plus while fly fishing you are at least 10 times more likely to foul hook or snag fish so barbless is nice for that.

However a 40" pike going crazy with 10' line out, or a 25lb laker in 80' water coming off the bottom like a bottle rocket, I can promise you, barbs make a world of difference.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Every dang barb in my tackle box is crimped now.

This is an X-Rap hook that was attached to a 4 lb ish trout that I had every intention of releasing. As I went to grab the lure, Mr Fish exacted his revenge and impaled me. I had a 4lb trout on the rear treble and the digit of yours truly on the front treble hook. By myself as usual, in a boat in the middle of the lake. Mr fish and I, had quite a discussion about how to remain still while I unhooked him. He was not nearly as accommodating as I would have liked but we came to an agreement after my knee persuaded him to be calm cool and relaxed:)

I eventually had to go to the doc to get it removed since xcaliber hook had a twist to it, the yank method was not working for me.

I'd like to not have to go through this again, So all the barbs are smashed as flat as I can get them:)

Brett

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
BNC04 said:
Every dang barb in my tackle box is crimped now.

This is an X-Rap hook that was attached to a 4 lb ish trout that I had every intention of releasing. As I went to grab the lure, Mr Fish exacted his revenge and impaled me. I had a 4lb trout on the rear treble and the digit of yours truly on the front treble hook. By myself as usual, in a boat in the middle of the lake. Mr fish and I, had quite a discussion about how to remain still while I unhooked him. He was not nearly as accommodating as I would have liked but we came to an agreement after my knee persuaded him to be calm cool and relaxed:)

I eventually had to go to the doc to get it removed since xcaliber hook had a twist to it, the yank method was not working for me.

I'd like to not have to go through this again, So all the barbs are smashed as flat as I can get them:)

Brett
I've been there done that TWICE and had to go to the ER both times. The doctor was shaking trying to push the barb threw. They shot 10cc of Idocane to numb my finger...Not a pleasant experience!

·
Registered
603 Posts
[/quote]

I've been there done that TWICE and had to go to the ER both times. The doctor was shaking trying to push the barb threw. They shot 10cc of Idocane to numb my finger...Not a pleasant experience!
[/quote]

To be honest that freaking shot into the tip of my finger hurt worse than the fish's attempt at making me scream. They cut mine out and tossed a cpl stitches in there. I asked the doc about getting it out myself and she said " due to the hook having a twist in it, I did the right thing" and would have probably caused more damage if I had tried to remove it by yanking on it with a string.

Brett

1 - 20 of 27 Posts