Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone think?
My brother is friends with a guy that works for the DOW, a group of Fly fishermen are trying to get new rules proposed for the Dream Stream, the Frying Pan and a few others.
I guess the main issue is fish mortality, damage to the fish with barbed treble hooks, etc...
Personally, I don't fish streams much, so it would'nt effect me, but if something like this would go through, what would be next? Flies only at the Delaneys?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I'm sure they are trying to get all catch and release waters barbless. I have no problems with this, I know alot of people claim the barbs dont matter, but I have caught more fish with barbed hooks then without. The only time I have trouble releasing a fish caught on a barbed hook is when it is deep hooked, other then that it takes me an hour to get the hook out of my net. However its still almost as hard to safely remove a barbless hook when the fish is deephooked.
I think a better regulation would be a class on proper fish handling for fishing gold medal waters or something like a hunters safety course. But then of course we'd have to pay to take the course to fish gold medal waters, ect, ect.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think the "Dream Stream" is already barbless only unless they changed it. I know there used to be a sign right at the bridge.

I crimp all my barbs. Not just to save fish but I have nightmares of hooking myself on a windy day with a barbed hook in the face. Check this out and you'll think twice.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/flyeye.html

·
Registered
163 Posts
TaylinLoop said:
I crimp all my barbs. Not just to save fish but I have nightmares of hooking myself on a windy day with a barbed hook in the face. Check this out and you'll think twice.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/flyeye.html
Now I'm going to have nightmares, damn you! I couldn't even watch all of that video...

Of course, don't you all have a good pair of polarized sun glasses? That would offer good protection from such an accident.

A bigger risk is getting a hook in the finger, and I can speak from experience that barbed hooks in the finger are no fun at all. At one point there were 10 people in the ER all wondering which fool got nymphed. Now I know how to remove hooks, and I'm up to date on my tetnus shots, so I won't be going to the ER for that again. But a barbless hook would have saved a lot of time, effort, money, and face.

And I hate double-rigging and then trying to remove the hook from the net! Remove the barbs and it's much quicker.

F

·
0 Posts
I think the idea is a joke...When is enough enough trophy trout rivers aren't only for fly fisherman, and playing a fish for a really long time is harder on fish than getting hooked with a couple trebles pulled in and a quick release. Fly fisherman have to come to a realization that they don't own all the trout water in Colorado.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I personally would not have issue with a mandate to fish barbless hooks. I am however, concerned that a trend to restrict the way we choose to flyfish is put into practise. In Europe, there are strange and excessive restirctions to flyfishing. Certain rivers will have regulations issuing no streamers, no tandem rigs, no weights of any kind etc... I think such rules take fair sportmanship to extremes. I don't enjoy fishing that way and I usually just say to hell with those rules.

D

·
0 Posts
I think barbless hooks on catch and release waters ought to be required. Generally the barbless hooks come out cleanly and quickly. Barbed hooks can take a lot more time to remove, cause a lot more tissue damage, and put a lot more stress on the fish. Most folks I know fish barbless or crimp down the barbs on their hooks when they fish C&R waters out of respect for the resource. I can't think of a single trout I ever lost that I think resulted from fishing a barbless hook.

What's the big deal if you have to crimp down the barbs?
None.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Below is an abstract from and Idaho study:

Barbed Hook Restrictions in Catch-and-Release Trout Fisheries: A Social Issue
D. J. SCHILL and R. L. SCARPELLA

Idaho Department of Fish and Game, 1414 East Locust Lane, Nampa, Idaho 83686, USA

Abstract.?We summarized results of past studies that directly compared hooking mortality of resident (nonanadromous) salmonids caught and released with barbed or barbless hooks. Barbed hooks produced lower hooking mortality in two of four comparisons with flies and in three of five comparisons with lures. Only 1 of 11 comparisons resulted in statistically significant differences in hooking mortality. In that instance, barbless baited hooks caused significantly less mortality than barbed hooks, but experimented design concerns limited the utility of this finding. Mean hooking mortality rates from past lure studies were slightly higher for barbed hooks than barbless ones, but the opposite was true for flies. For flies and lures combined, mean hooking mortality was 4.5% for barbed hooks and 4.2% for barbless hooks. Combination of test statistics from individual studies by gear type via meta-analysis yielded nonsignificant results for barbed versus barbless flies, lures, or flies and lures combined. We conclude that the use of barbed or barbless flies or lures plays no role in subsequent mortality of trout caught and released by anglers. Because natural mortality rates for wild trout in streams commonly range from 30% to 65% annually, a 0.3% mean difference in hooking mortality for the two hook types is irrelevant at the population level, even when fish are subjected to repeated capture. Based on existing mortality studies, there is no biological basis for barbed hook restrictions in artificial fly and lure fisheries for resident trout. Restricting barbed hooks appears to be a social issue. Managers proposing new special regulations to the angling public should consider the social costs of implementing barbed hook restrictions that produce no demonstrable biological gain.

This being said, I tend to use barbless hooks just for the ease of use.  I can remove a hook faster and get a fish on its way(if I am releasing) in a shorter amount of time, thus increasing its chance for survival.  It is no big deal for this type of regulation.

PS-  I find in very aesthetically pleasing to catch a fish that has extensive tissue damage due to being previously gored by a trebble hook.  But on some of the more popular trout streams (Frying Pan, Green River) there are those fish that have equally as bad damage due to continuous hooking by flies.

D

·
0 Posts
Well ClackaRam-

Just goes to show that you really can learn something new every day. Thanks.

W

·
0 Posts
I know one thing for sure, if you get a barbed hook stuck in your STRIKE INDICATOR on your backcast, it can really mess up your line. So-o-o-o-o, fish without barbs or indicators! Oh YEAH!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I frequently fish barbless hooks and lures and as far as I am able to tell that hasn't lost me any fish, however a fish that jumps straight up out of the water and shakes its head, like pike and musky sometimes do, might be able to throw a barbless hook easier.

My main reason for barbless hooks is not for ease in getting them out of the fish, it is for ease in getting them out of myself. I made one run from the water to the E.R. with a lure hanging out of my hand last summer. If I had pinched down the barb, I could have pulled it right out and kept on fishing. It was a good lesson for me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think it can be a catch 22. Its good for the fish and yourself and inhances your angleing skills. but on the same note
good fishery get turned over to the fly fisherman and started seeing it again happen to coldwater lake at the base of mount St. Helems in WA as of now it is no live bait or anything thats has scent and its single barbless hook. with those reg i think its fair both parties hardware and fly fisherman. but now there is Big push for fly only which will probably happen. the only problem i have with that is im not a very good fly fisherman and enjoy going out in the boat and trolling so it can be a good thing or bad just depends on how it effects you!
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
A barbless only rule wouldn't upset me. I try to crimp my barbs down but alot of the time I forget. Usually when the fly ends up in my net or my shoelaces. I do not think it would be right to impose flyfishing only waters. Fishing is fishing and such limitations shouldn't be imposed on fisherman. Now in Yellowstone I have stopped by the "flyfishing only" signs and took a picture and made some sort of "take that you darn bait chuckers" remark but it was all in good humor. I don't think any of the flyfisherman out there would like it if they imposed a spinning takle only rule for spinney.

Vote YES for strike indicators in 06!!!!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I really dont think making a rule for barbless is that big a deal. I've always crimped, just the way I was taught. I think that educating fisherman on fish handling is a more effective way to lower mortalty rates. On a side note, FIshguitars- get off your high horse about flyfishing, its getting old.

W

·
0 Posts
OK, Mr Hatchmeister, what are you trying to do, get everybody all stirred up again! Vote no for strike indicators, the sport of fishing is at stake!

L

·
0 Posts
Sorry hell fish I agree with FG. I feel the wholier than thou attitude commin through some of u fly guys! I hate to tell ya but yes your crap does stink!!! (flyfisherman in general)

·
Registered
176 Posts
theres no question about the pungency of my skat >:D
However, the topic was about barbless hooks, not your insecurities about how i, or anyone else chooses to spend there time on the water. So, yes, I do feel holier than thow, when ignorance is spewed with reckless abandon. I practice fair discrimination, if your an ahole, your an ahole, doesn't matter how you fish, talk, look etc. etc.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would say there are a couple of guys that have their panties in a wad over nothing.  The DOW is not considering making any waters in the state flyfishing only.  Jeez, they just completed the reg changes cycle and will not open it back up for another 5 years barring a catastophe.  Barbed or barbless, what is the big deal?  You still have to get them on the hook.

F

·
0 Posts
so I'm an ****** because I'm tired of snobby fly fisherman??? The fishing is great on all the famous tailwaters in Colorado so if it isn't broke why try to fix it? If you have a pair of pliers handy at all times barbs aren't a big deal...It's great that some fisherman pinch down there barbs for various reasons, but it should be an option not a law. I fish the Arsenal a lot when its open which is barbless hooks. You can't save fish from idiots barbs or not!!!

How did the sport of fishing ever survive years ago before special interest groups saved the world from bait fishing and those nasty barbed hooks.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts