Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by a favorite honey-hole (the location of which will remain nameless for now :) ) for a couple of hours, and nothing big was hitting, so I started throwing out a small 1/4 oz. spinnerbait on the ultralight. The bass started hitting it immediately. The trouble was, they were all 13-14 inches which I do not keep.

After about the fourth one, I took out a pair of pliers and crushed the barb down onto the shank of the hook so I would do less injury to the fish. No problem, I never lost a fish after that, just keeping tension on the line was enough to keep the fish on the hook.

All in all, I landed 17 bass, one 16" trout, and one crappie, all released.

Now I am thinking about doing this to all my lures. But I would like to hear a second opinion first.

Are there any fish that you would never fish barbless for? If so, what?

Regards, W. E.

M

·
0 Posts
i wouldn't do it to all your lures, then youll be kickin urself when u lose one sometime

i have never had an issue without barbs, but ive only done it at the arsenal

F

·
0 Posts
I wouldnt do it to all your lures ....I was a member at lake carrol anne and I've been fishing the arsenal for a long time both are barbless ...I dont mind pinching my barbs that much but when a fish goes airborn it gets tough ....If you do lose a huge fish you will be kickin yourself .....With spinnerbaits you never really harm the fish that much anyways ....Its a nice thought but I wouldnt do it !!!Sometimes I get a little crazy at the arsenal and make a few to many lures barbless......its fine at the time but later on down the road you want those barbs ....you remeber eagle claw used to have a double barbed hook ...lol..

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Most of my lures are now barbless. I debarb lures and flies for the arasenal and RMNP. I also debarb for catching recently stocked Trout (I hate it when they have their mouths sealed shut on both ends of a lures trebal hook) and for bluegill fishing (just easier to release them).
I haven't lost many because of the lack of a barb. I've heard it the other way to. You may catch more, because the hook sets easier.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i tend to go barbless after catching a few if im releasing a bunch it makes it easyer to release them and that in its self give them a better chance and come to think of it when i have gone barbless i dont recall haveing any problem keeping them on the hook, if the lign stays tight your gona bag em but if they start jumping a lot and can get some slack they might get off. i should probably pinch down more of my barbs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts