Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and me had a wonderful day here with the trout. About a month ago the second pond got stocked with appr. 200 brooders. Then, a few days ago they stocked it again with regular stockers. We went out this morning and got there at around 7:45. I caught the first trout about 5 minutes after we got there. 10 minutes after the first I caught the second. My wife hook the third and it was a nice brooder, about 20" long. She fought it but got it tangled in her other line. We got it in but there was a really bad mess. I told her to take over my two fishing poles while I fix the mess so she could fish. Over the next hour and a half she caught five more for our limits, just about the same time I got the tangle straightened out. Eight trout total. One 20". one 18", one 17", two 15", two 12", and one 11". We then switched to bass.
We tried bass for about two hours and catch four, all between 14" and 16". Two were caught on black spinner baits, and two were caught on minnow imitation spinners.
All in all a good day. We brought the trout home for my dad (my wife and I generally practice catch and release except when we bring fish home for my dad and mom) and released the bass.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like you had a good day, even with the frazzled line.
Nice size for trout in the metro area. What is a brooder?
What were you using for the trout, lures, bait?

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
What is a brooder
Fishon...it is a mature stocker that they (DOW) uses to get eggs from on an annual basis and are kept through their peak egg producing years (not sure what age that is)...kind of like chickens are kept alive for their eggs...that is the purpose with brooders...they arent stocked until they are replaced by new brooders...kind of convaluted...but it is late...

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Fatfish --- Can you tell me what pond you caught the Bass out of ?  It's probably been 3 weeks now since I've caught a Bass bigger than 9 inches.  :-[  I've been practicing w/ my fly rod and have been wanting to hit St. Vrain anyway, but now I'm really inspired !

Thanks,
                                                        James                                     

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fishon, we were using bait: Powerbait and nightcrawlers. The nightcrawlers were floated beneath bobbers. The Powerbait was fished on the bottom. Also, Barbour Ponds isn't in the metro area. Its located off I-25 at the 119 exit.

James, the bass were caught out of the second pond. That's the small one you first come to. It's the same pond we caught the trout out of.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
after seeing the report from fatfish i decided to go the the barbour ponds , we nailed the trout we caught about 30 trout, some rainbows, some cutthroats, i was useing a slip bobber and jig with mealworm and we did very well on powerbait too, the trout ranged from 14 to 19 inches

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanx fatfish, If I get up there next week I'l try that.
I guess it's not technically metro, but the way things have been growing out there it seems like it.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Fatfish --- Thanks!  :)

The wife was catching using a full worm and a weighted bobber, using a very slow retrieve.

I was using fly and bubble.  We were blessed with beautiful weather today (Monday, October 31st).

Happy Halloween 8)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice job, james! Don't you just love the 'ol fly and bubble? A nice, slow retrieve and then.... POW! I live for that!

·
Registered
862 Posts
im gonna head up in the tomorrow morning and see what i can do caught the bass in the 2nd lake too? Anyone else gonna be up there tomorrow?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I might consider it seeing as it looks like the trout action is good :) As well as bass, my fav!

·
Registered
238 Posts
where are these ponds? just curious

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Pondfisher --- They are in the St. Vrain State Park. Right off I-25 at the Longmont exit. If you're on I-25 and get off on 119 (heading into Longmont) You turn right at (I believe) the 1st light. It turns into a dirt road right away. You can't miss it. You can see them from I-25, and they're signs to the State Park.
They are kind of a mess now, but will probably be an epic spot to fish in a few years. There were 4 ponds (only 2 are open now), but they are working on adding like 14 more. In the spring there are often Eagles there.

Good Luck,
James

·
Registered
862 Posts
well i wasnt able to make it out today some things came up that didnt allow me to go but tomorrow its on!! can anyone tell me if you have to pay to get in here or what its been awhile a long while it seems since ive been here....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for the info James...I might hit it up on Sunday. Looking to fishing St. Vrain some and will most likely hit these ponds....Im really looking to catch some trout for the oven.

·
Registered
862 Posts
well me and my buddy headed up to barbour ponds early sunday morning we got there about 6 am or so had my first pole in the water and before i even baited up my second BAM had a fish..... same happened to my buddy as i was reelin in my fish he had one one too.....it was a crazy day we caught fish left and right the smallest bein 11 inches and the biggest being 23 inches i had no idea that there were some big ones in there at one point in time during the day my buddy had a fish on as he was reelin it in his second pole went down so i went over to reel that one in and as i was reelin that one in BAM my pole went down so we had 3 fish on at one time that was crazy!! that had never happened to me before i was just waitin for my 2nd pole to get hit but never happened that would have bben real nuts if we wouldve had 4 fish on at once but had to settle for 3...lol all in all it was a great day here we caught fish atleast every 10 minutes for hours sometimes 2 on at a time we used powerbait all different colors and 36 night crawlers....the days total........

ME=22
buddy=21
awesome day couldnt have been better and who wouldve thought i would have caught my biggest rainbow of the yr at barbour ponds a big ole fatty checkin in at 23 inches in length all caught and released

1 - 20 of 31 Posts